In 1987, A Muppet Family Christmas first graced television screens. While copyright disputes have kept the special largely away from American eyes since, it remains a timeless Christmas classic.
However, A Muppet Family Christmas is not without its many egregious plot holes. Many questions are left unanswered in the 45 minute-long special, which was the only time the Muppet, Sesame Street and Fraggle Rock characters all got together.
There are a lot of questions left unanswered.
1. Is it legal to carry that many people in the back of a pick up truck?
I mean, I get nervous when I see a couple dogs roaming around the back of a truck at slow speed in summer.
2. Why are the windows open?
Come on, guys, it’s winter!
3. Who is this orange haired guy?
Never seen him before or since. He plays brass in the Electric Mayhem
4. Why didn’t Fozzie call his mother to let her know he was bringing over the whole Muppet troupe?
He argues that bears love surprises, but I’m not buying it.
5. Why is Fozzie’s Mom dressed like she’s already in Malibu?
It’s cold and dreary out… Ditch the glasses and put on a coat!
6. How could Doc not know he was renting from a bear?
This could be the best and/or worst AirBnB experience ever.
7. Why does Gonzo go in for a greeting kiss with Fozzie’s Mom?
This is America, Gonzo.
8. Why is Doc not demanding a refund right about now?
Seriously, worst AirBnB ever!
9. Why is Sam The Eagle There?
Sam asks the question, but he is the only one qualified to answer. Guess this is like the old how many licks…
10. Does Fozzie actually have to introduce Kermit to his mother?
11. How did Fozzie’s Mom take three months of surfing lessons?
That must have been a mighty fine wave pool.
12. How does Miss Piggy know the Bear residence’s phone number?
In a world before cell phones, people had to memorize phone numbers.
13. Why did the Swedish Chef come alone?
Doesn’t he fit in with the other Muppets? Wasn’t there space in the back of the pick up?
14. Why did the turkey bring a tennis racket?
What were you expecting, turkey? Club Med?
15. How did the Electric Mayhem get set up so quickly?
I guess they are used to touring.
16. Seriously, who is this guy?
He appears to be wearing a poncho
17. What are Rowlf and Sprocket talking about?
Probably how we are only 10 minutes into the special and this is the seventeenth unanswered question.
18. Where can I find a place with singing woodland creatures?
Seriously, this is like a bad insurance commercial.
19. Are penguins qualified to critique comedy?
Come on, Fozzie and the Snowman are just an Abbott and Costello tribute act.
20. Fozzie’s Mom is named Emily?
That seems a bit odd. In addition, when did Kermit learn this? It’s not in the script.
21. How exactly did the turkey convince the Swedish Chef that Sprocket is a turkey and not a dog?
What’s next? Even the Swedish Chef doesn’t understand IKEA directions?
22. Why did Fozzie have to introduce Kermit to his mom if they are in this home movie together as babies?
This film also puts the validity of that great documentary The Muppet Movie in doubt.
23. Why does Emily Bear admit to remembering the film being made?
No words, Ms. Bear, no words.
24. Why doesn’t Camilla go right back to Gonzo?
That turkey is lame and he wears sunglasses indoors, but Gonzo is a catch!
25. How was it that the entire cast of Sesame Street was randomly caroling in this remote rural place?
They couldn’t have been invited. Kermit is the only one that knows them, and he wouldn’t do this to Fozzie’s Mom.
26. Is this the greatest exchange in television history?
Ernie: Oh, hi there, we’re Ernie and Bert.
Doc: Well, hi there yourself, I’m Doc.
Bert: Oh, did you know that Doc starts with the letter D?
Doc: Why, yes.
Ernie: Yes! Yes, starts with the letter Y.
Ernie: And true starts with the letter T.
Doc: What is this?
Bert: Where we come from this is small talk.
27. Did the writer seriously just suggest that the Swedish Chef is willing to kill Big Bird?
Mitt Romney is apparently not the only one.
28. Did they forget to invite the Newsman up to the farmhouse?
Oh wait, he’s a journalist, so he has to work… even on Christmas Eve.
29. When Oscar says it might be nice to have Rizzo in his trash can, does he mean that he would like that or not?
If he’s a grouch, shouldn’t he not want nice things?
30. Why does Burt look so good in drag?
Seems like he’s done this before.
31. Is nothing sacred?
Seriously, Sam The Eagle, why are you here?
32. What was the Blizzard of ‘41 like?
Presumably had the weather channel been around it would have been Blizzard Persephone or something.
33. Why was Miss Piggy not deterred when her limo driver crashed into a snow bank?
Seriously? Are you insane?
34. Is it a conflict of interest that Fozzie’s mom is friends with his biggest critics?
Would your mother tolerate these two heckling you?
35. In addition, Emily claims that they come by each Christmas. Why didn’t she tell them she were going to be in Malibu?
This whole situation should have been avoided.
36. How does the Swedish Chef intend on cooking Big Bird?
He will not fit in the oven.
37. Since when are Doc and the Muppets friends?
This just went from worst AirBnB ever to best AirBnB ever.
38. How does Kermit already know about Fraggles?
This one is particularly troubling.
39. What is the Fraggle version of Christmas called?
Serious missed opportunity here. It could have been like Festivus.
40. When you live in Fraggle Rock, how is a pebble that’s been regifted 37 times considered a good gift?
I’d prefer a NES.
41. Why is Kermit in such a rush?
You’ve just discovered a complex underground society. You’re just going to leave?
42. How did Miss Piggy manage to have a dog sled and team and a perfectly sized Royal Canadian Mounted Police costume for Doc?
Don’t give me that “She likes to make an entrance” crap, Kermit. She doesn’t even know Doc.
43. Why does Kermit think he can get around this by saying that Doc “Doesn’t have to explain”?
This makes no sense. Even in the context of the story. It’s totally unnecessary.
44. If Sam doesn’t want to be here, why is he singing along?
Make up your mind, Eagle.
45. Why didn’t anyone think to throw some salt or sand on the icy spot?
This joke has run it’s course.
46. Where did Kermit’s outfit come from?
That’s quite the quick change, frog.
47. Is there a better song for The Count to sing lead on than I Saw Three Ships (Come Sailing In)?
The answer is, of course, no.
48. How does Doc not notice the Fraggles?
Well, I guess this makes sense if you’ve seen enough Fraggle Rock.
49. Why isn’t Oscar taking this as an opportunity to make an epic photobomb?
He could have been an innovator!
50. Who gave those lamps to the woodland creatures?
Should we trust woodland creatures with fire?
51. Would it be possible to get away with a fur coat joke today?
That’s Maureen the Mink. She was Kermit’s gift to Miss Piggy.
52. What did Grover end up doing with the Fraggle pebble after Robin gave it to him?
It’s probably what gives him the power to become Super Grover
53. Why did Santa come in through the front door?
Afraid of a little fire, Doc?
54. Shouldn’t Jim Henson be puppeteering?
Really, you should be with Muppet.
55. Where did all those dishes come from?
Despite all the drama about the turkey, I don’t think they actually had dinner.
56. Where was Sweetums?
I guess he’s not the kind of Muppet you bring home to mom.
57. Is this the greatest television Christmas special?
All signs point to yes.