But you still love baseball
At least more than hockey, football and basketball
So you’re looking at the teams in contention, trying to decide who your team is going to be moving forward
Well, here are the things you need to know as a newly minted member of the Bucco Bandwagon
1. The Pirates have won 5 World Series Championships
1909, 1925, 1960, 1971 and 1979
2. They recently broke a 20 losing season streak
It started in 1992, when Aladdin was the #1 movie at the box office.
If you want to look like a more legitimate fan, you should say that you were a fan back in the days of Doug Drabek, Andy Van Slyke and Bobby Bonilla (and Barry Bonds, if you want to go there).
3. Andrew McCutchen should be the National League MVP this year
When he gets up to bat or makes a diving catch in the outfield, you should chant “M-V-P, M-V-P”
4. When the Pirates get an extra base hit or an RBI, they celebrate by flashing the Z
It’s a reference to the great film Dude, Where’s My Car?. The Z stands for “Zoltan.”
7. The Pirates, Cardinals and Reds are in a three way race for the NL Central
Root against the Reds and the Cardinals
8. You need to have a favorite Pierogi
A pierogi is a potato-filled noodle that originates in Poland and is a popular food item in Pittsburgh.
Each Pirates home game features a race between 4 anthropomorphized pierogies, they include Jalapeño Hannah (Green Hat), Sauerkraut Saul (Red Hat), Cheese Chester (Yellow Hat) and the highly intelligent Oliver Onion (Purple Hat).
9. PNC Park is the best stadium in Major League Baseball
Or maybe second best to the one of your otherwise favorite team.
10. When a game is won, you should say “Raise the Jolly Roger”
When on Twitter, use the hashtags #RaiseIt or #RTJR
- Two people on a civilian airplane were killed in a mid-air collision with a military jet in South Carolina. The F-16 jet pilot was ejected and is "in good shape."
- Subway has suspended Jared Fogle, the weight-loss guy from their commercials, due to an FBI investigation.
- Bounce TV and BET will no longer air series featuring Bill Cosby after court records showed he admitted to buying sedatives to give to women.