1. Carve out the back of an ordinary wardrobe, place it in front of the entrance to a room, and you have the passage to Narnia!
Bonus points for lining the wardrobe with fur!
2. Or just paint a wintry forest mural on the wall and attach an old-fashioned lamp.
Get some tips on how to paint snow-covered pine trees here.
3. Cover up the outlets with Alice-in-Wonderland style doors.
Enchanting and practical. You can learn how to make them here.
4. Cut out Peter Pan’s shadow and place it over a lamp shade.
You can either buy one for $25 here or cut one out of decal yourself.
5. Make the bedroom entrance the brick wall from Platform 9 and 3/4.
6. Turn an ordinary storage closet into a hobbit home.
This was a pretty simple paint job, but for the detailed odyssey of building a hobbit hole in one’s backyard, look here.
7. Take an old chair and make it one fit for Mad-Hatter.
8. Turn an ordinary doorknob into a talking one.
Learn the secret here.
9. Hang up a flying ship made out of thread, cloth, cardboard, and newspapers.
Make your own with this guide. Bonus points: Attach a nightlight to it and tell your kid that it journeys to Neverland every night when he or she is asleep.
10. Make a teepee fit for Tiger Lily.
Here are the full instructions.
11. Transform a chest of drawers into a bottomless suitcase.
And prepare to board the Hogwarts Express. Learn the magic spell here.
12. Take a broken umbrella and turn it into a fairy chandelier.
All you need are scissors, white spray paint, christmas lights, and a broken umbrella.
13. Or hang christmas lights behind sheer curtains for a luminescent effect.
Really, almost any combination of christmas lights and curtains is magical.
15. Build an indoor swing.
It’s not that simple but think of all the fun you’ll have!
16. Paint a mural that replicates a window looking onto Victorian London.
It’s actually pretty easy. Remember to include the second star on the right!
17. Create the floating rose from Beauty and the Beast.
Get the instructions here. Cursed beast not included.
18. Build an indoor treehouse.
See the full tutorial (with the added delight of the excited reactions of the guy’s kids) here. You could also simply paint a tree onto the wall over a small door, and include some real branches at the top.
19. Paint a chalkboard wall the kids can hop into.
20. Hang up some fluffy clouds and play airplane.
They’re pretty easy to make.
21. And if you’re really handy, make this pirate ship bedroom, complete with a bridge and rope that descends into the closet.
Get tips from an interview with the man who made it here.
- A University of Cincinnati officer has been charged with murder for shooting Samuel Dubose, an unarmed black man.
- Mullah Omar, the Taliban's reclusive leader, died more than two years ago, Afghan officials say. The Taliban hasn't commented.
- Debris found on an island in the Indian Ocean belongs to the same type of aircraft as the missing Malaysia Airlines flight, a U.S. official told the Associated Press.