Photographer Laura Pannack observed nudist group, Young British Naturists, a group for naturists aged under 30 and the name for this body of work, to get an inside look into the daily lives of people who prefer to live sans clothing. On the topic of nudity, Laura explains that “nakedness is a concept as much as it is a state of being, and one wreathed in paradox. With it are bound notions of privacy, self possession, jurisdiction. It can connote innocence or sexuality, purity or depravity. It can signify both power and vulnerability, used to liberate or humiliate.”
2. Despite this profundity, Pannack discovered something.
3. As it turns out, nudists spend their time at home quite similarly to non-nudists.
I mean, what did you think they do?
21. On the topic of nudity, one YBN member explains, “When all other things are held equal, when nude, a rich person appears no different than a poor person.”
“In the naturist environment, I feel I’m their equal - I’m not better than them, nor they are better than me, we are just human. By removing clothing I feel a barrier between people is gone and I’m more able to meet and to talk to others without the feeling that I or they have something to hide.”
For more photography by Laura Pannack, look through her portfolio at LauraPannack.com.
CORRECTION: The word colony was replaced from the title after discovery that the term is dated and out of use by naturists.
- Two bomb attacks in Nigeria's central city of Jos killed at least 44 people.
- Greek Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis has resigned following an overwhelming "no" vote on new austerity measures tied to further bailout funds. The country's future in the eurozone is uncertain.
- The U.S. defeated Japan 5-2 in Vancouver in the final match of the FIFA Women's World Cup. It was the highest scoring final in the history of the tournament ⚽️