1. A cat version of the corgi exists: the munchkin cat.
2. A group of kittens is called a kindle.
And a group of cats is called a clowder.
And, just so you know, a group of pugs is called a grumble.
3. Otters hold hands when they are asleep so that they don’t float away from each other.
And there’s a little pouch on an otter’s body where it can keep its favorite rock.
4. When you shave a guinea pig it looks like a little hippo.
5. Sea horses mate for life and travel holding each other’s tails.
6. Puffins also mate for life.
7. The elephant shrew’s closest relative isn’t a shrew — it’s actually an elephant.
8. When rabbits get really excited and start to jump around it’s called a binky.
9. There have been studies that show that goats, like us, have accents.
10. Male pups will sometimes let female pups “win” when they play-fight so they can get to know them better.
12. Red pandas can have tails that grow up to 18 inches — despite being the size of a house cat.
13. It is actually impossible to be as ugly as the blobfish.
14. And it’s also impossible to be happier than a quokka, the world’s happiest animal.
15. Dolphins have names for one another.
“Each dolphin produces its own unique signature whistle that describes its individual identity,” researchers said in a University of St. Andrews press release. “The new study suggests that in fact dolphins are mimicking those they are close to and want to see again.”
16. Hundreds of trees grow every year because of squirrels that forgot where they buried their food.
17. Cuddling releases serotonin and oxytocin, which can help improve one’s mood and fight depression.
19. In Welsh folklore, corgis were the preferred method of transportation for fairies.
Yeah. Fairies rode corgis.
21. Not only do penguins mate for life, but they also spend time finding a pebble to give their mate in order to “propose.”
By the way, Norway once knighted a penguin.
The penguin’s full name is Colonel-in-Chief Sir Nils Olav.
22. Octopuses actually do make gardens by collecting stones and shiny things and arranging them in the sand. Ringo was right.
23. A smile means the same thing in every language.
25. You can tickle a penguin.
26. There is no way to angrily say the word bubbles.
27. There’s a German shepherd who has become a seeing-eye dog for a blind spaniel.
When Ellie, a blind spaniel, was adopted by shelter manager Jean Spencer, she never expected that her other dog, Leo, would choose to become her very own seeing-eye dog. “I take them for walks in the park and Leo guides Ellie around,” says Spencer. “He is so protective and herds the more boisterous dogs away from her.”
28. The voice of Mickey Mouse and the voice of Minnie Mouse got married in real life.
29. Ornithophobia is the irrational fear of birds.
30. You know Koko the gorilla, who could communicate with sign language? Well, she had a pet kitten, and one time Koko’s trainers went to visit Koko and saw that the sink had been ripped out of the wall. Koko, when asked who had done it, blamed it on the cat.
34. Finally, just know that somewhere in the world a momma cat is pushing her baby around…
- 26 people, thought to be refugees and migrants, were discovered in the back of a truck in Austria. ›
- Thai police arrested a man alleged to have explosives in his possession, almost two weeks after a deadly bomb blast in Bangkok killed 20 people. ›
- A Harris County, Texas, sheriff's deputy was ambushed Friday night when a man walked up and repeatedly shot him from behind. ›