1. 150 years ago this week, a band of raiders from Missouri led an attack on Lawrence, Kan. More than 180 people were killed as the city burned.
2. Tensions had been high in the region for decades, ever since Missouri was granted status as a slave state in 1820. Kansas was a free state, and that led to violence on both sides of the state border.
3. In the years since, Lawrence rebuilt and became home to the University of Kansas. Some fans of the Universities of Missouri and Kansas point to the raid as the start of a heated rivalry between the schools.
4. And on the anniversary of that raid, orchestrated by Confederate leader William Quantrill, some Missourians celebrated Quantrill’s actions. This family burned Kansas merchandise in celebration:
@The_Antlers celebrating 150 years
6. Others chose to tweet:
Today we celebrate the sesquicentennial of Quantrill’s raid. It’s a good day to be a Tiger! #mizzourah/ Via
A very happy 150th Quantrill Day to the fine Missourians out there. Relish in victory./ Via
150 yrs. ago today General Quantrill did us all a favor and burned Lawrence to the ground. #neverforget #MIZ #Fku/ Via
RIP to my homeboy @WQuantrill1863, a real American hero #burnlawrence
Happy burn kansas day #rockchalkchickenhawk #fuckkU/ Via
Happy #Quantrill day!!! 150 years ago today, Missourians first walked into Lawrence and proudly were able to say “Scoreboard”! #burnlawrence/ Via
13. And one Kansas City-area Mizzou bar celebrated with drink specials.
Today is 150 years since Quantrill’s raid on Lawrence, Kansas. He led troops to loot, kill and burn anything in sight. Today, I drink to him/ Via
15. A group of reenactors in Lawrence also live-tweeted the events of the day, including eerie tweets from an account in the voice of Quantrill himself:
WE RIDE! BURN LAWRENCE TO THE GROUND! DEATH TO JAYHAWKERS! #QR1863/ Via
Hurrah for Quantrill! Hurrah for the South! Hurrah for Dixie! #QR1863/ Via
Never look back! We have friends along the way and a victory celebration awaiting at home. #QR1863/ Via
18. But people in Lawrence took the day in stride. One local brew pub, Free State Brewing Co., had a special beer on tap, aptly titled Phoenix Rising.
Free State Brewing
If you’re not drinking a Phoenix Rising today then you’re doing it wrong. #QR1863
- Rallies for climate change action are taking place around the world ahead of the United Nations climate talks in Paris. ›
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- And watch a man react to the modern world after spending 44 years in prison. ›