1. This was one of the main images used to promote the Doctor Who 50th anniversary, which has finally just happened.
2. It has now been updated to this.
John Hurt’s “War Doctor” is added in between Eight and the one we thought was Nine, which means he is a real thing that definitely happened and counts.
3. This is despite Steven Moffat telling us this in the run-up:
I’ve been really, really quite careful about the numbering of the Doctors. He’s very specific, the John Hurt Doctor, that he doesn’t take the name of the Doctor. He doesn’t call himself that. He’s the same Time Lord, the same being as the Doctors either side of him, but he’s the one who says, ‘I’m not the Doctor’. So the Eleventh Doctor is still the Eleventh Doctor, the Tenth Doctor is still the Tenth.
4. Meanwhile, the first image from the Christmas special, The Time Of The Doctor, was released this week.
As we know, the special will see Matt Smith regenerate into Peter Capaldi.
5. But if you look a bit closer, there is something else happening.
6. And closer…
Who is that lurking in the wintery flames?
7. It’s only the new Doctor!
It’s so blurry that we had to mess about with the contrast a bit, but still that’s quite interesting isn’t it?