1. People took the chance to share their stories.
As it’s #NationalComingOutDay, here’s my story: http://t.co/U9YBBJLHQr via http://t.co/FWyXMnsF5k. Big love to anyone still in the closet.
2. Some people prioritised their issues.
Today I am wearing an ex boyfriend’s underpants. So, you know, there are some advantages #NationalComingOutDay
3. Scissor Sisters!
Own your life. Own your pride. Love out loud! Come out, come out. Happy #nationalcomingoutday, love: your Scissters
4. But there were also naysayers.
Having #NationalComingOutDay is extra unnecessary pressure on folk to have to come out. They should do it when they’re ready & comfortable.
5. There was a genuinely funny Hannah quote from Girls.
“What I’m having right now is an inappropriate physical reaction to my total joy for you & your self-discovery” Happy #NationalComingOutDay!
6. There was a lot of LOL to be had amongst it all actually.
Careful getting dressed everyone, it’s #NationalComingOutDay so there might be somebody in your closet waiting to surprise you.
7. As well as some #RealTalk.
It’s National Coming Out Day and, as Oasis *might* (wouldn’t) say “Don’t come out in anger”, like I did to my dad â€“ http://t.co/F5iMxSWUQe
Worst thing about coming out is the eager friend who screams “I always knew!!” and books Kylie tickets immediately. (Also the best thing.)
What they don’t tell you about coming out is that some of the most difficult people to deal with are actually mean gays with big hang-ups.
8. Some talk that we think is a joke.
My parents found out I was gay when they caught me wanking to Keith Chegwin on Naked Jungle. #NationalComingOutDay
9. The option to come out in Dothraki or Vulcan.
Coming out tomorrow for #NationalComingOutDay? Why not do it in Dothraki or Vulcan or…well, go watch for the rest! http://t.co/I1AUKebVab
10. The Runner.
#NationalComingOutDay Yeah you guys have guessed it…. I’m a runner.
Here’s our exclusive interview with @BritishBakeOff winner @JohnWhaiteBakes http://t.co/SCdt4Q6uN1 #NationalComingOutDay #RUComingOut
#FF @TomDaley1994 @DLanceBlack @grindr
13. The absolutely incredible video in which a guy comes out by performing “It’s Raining Men” in his back garden.
#NationalComingOutDay and I’ve decided to do it via the medium of song. Me singing It’s Raining Men in my back garden http://t.co/FuvTzsqhHy
14. But there was still an important message at the root of it all.
If you need support when coming out, we have a database of local services to help you #NationalComingOutDay http://t.co/ZTYE00Mv
#NationalComingOutDay is not about feeling pressured to come out. It’s about all of us acknowledging what can be a difficult choice.
For real stories and advice visit RUcomingout.
- Two bomb attacks in Nigeria's central city of Jos killed at least 44 people.
- Greek Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis has resigned following an overwhelming "no" vote on new austerity measures tied to further bailout funds. The country's future in the eurozone is uncertain.
- The U.S. defeated Japan 5-2 in Vancouver in the final match of the FIFA Women's World Cup. It was the highest scoring final in the history of the tournament ⚽️