1. Because it’s 2013!
The last black woman to be a cast member was Maya Rudolph and she left the show in 2007.
Prior to Rudolph, the last female black cast member was the criminally underused Ellen Cleghorne in 1995.
3. Because we have a black president and a black first lady!
4. Because Maya Rudolph can’t be everyone.
Maya Rudolph was an incredibly versatile comedienne during her time on the show, but she can’t always make guest appearances every time they parody the first lady.
5. Because Sherri Shepherd is usually at The View, not on vacation.
11. Because Kenan Thompson is not a black woman.
To date, Kenan has portrayed Whoopi Goldberg, Mo’Nique, Raven-Symoné, Maya Angelou, Jennifer Hudson, Lil’ Kim, Patti LaBelle, Aretha Franklin, Chaka Khan, etc.
12. Because there are hilarious black women DOING comedy.
Nicole Byer from MTV’s “Girl Code”