1. Because it’s 2013!
The last black woman to be a cast member was Maya Rudolph and she left the show in 2007.
Prior to Rudolph, the last female black cast member was the criminally underused Ellen Cleghorne in 1995.
3. Because we have a black president and a black first lady!
4. Because Maya Rudolph can’t be everyone.
Maya Rudolph was an incredibly versatile comedienne during her time on the show, but she can’t always make guest appearances every time they parody the first lady.
5. Because Sherri Shepherd is usually at The View, not on vacation.
11. Because Kenan Thompson is not a black woman.
To date, Kenan has portrayed Whoopi Goldberg, Mo’Nique, Raven-Symoné, Maya Angelou, Jennifer Hudson, Lil’ Kim, Patti LaBelle, Aretha Franklin, Chaka Khan, etc.
12. Because there are hilarious black women DOING comedy.
Nicole Byer from MTV’s “Girl Code”
- Airplane debris discovered Wednesday on the coast of the French island of Réunion is found to belong to a Boeing 777, a Malaysian official confirmed to AFP Friday.
- Beijing has won its bid to host the 2022 Winter Olympics. It's the first city to host both the summer and winter games.
- Zimbabwe's environment minister has called for Walter Palmer, the American dentist who killed Cecil the lion, to be extradited over the animal's death.