The iconic photo from the 1966 movie One Million Years B.C. that made Welch famous, and was taped to a million boy’s room walls (including this boy).
She was described as “wearing mankind’s first bikini” and the fur bikini was described as a “definitive look of the 1960s” (Wikipedia).
3. Controversial publicity still from One Million Years B.C.
6. She wasn’t a bony waify model, a look that was becoming iconic in the late 1960s. She was (and still is) a strong bodied, kickass woman.
7. In 1965, she even did one of these Wate-On ads that seem unbelievable today.
8. Welch came thisclose to being a Bond girl in Thunderball, but was signed away by 20th Century Fox to appear in Fantastic Voyage.
9. Welch in Fantastic Voyage (1964).
10. In 1970, She played the transsexual heroine in Myra Breckinridge, and although the film was a flop, her look was not.
13. 1972 cover of Life from her roller derby movie Kansas City Bombers.
14. And, let us not forget, Welch was instrumental in helping Andy Dufresne escape Shawshank prison.
15. Has any woman ever looked better in a bikini?
- Greece will decide on Sunday whether they will accept austerity measures as a condition of a bailout that may stave off an imminent financial and economic crisis.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 1-0 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the Copa ⚽️