1. Charles Antell’s Formula 9 shampoo, 1952
Three methods of suicide!
Sweetheart, you better put that small-caliber girlie gun in your mouth, to make sure. Or just pick up some new shampoo.
2. Electrolux, 1932
Bodiless Horsewoman Refuses to Buy Electrolux Fridge.
In Mrs. Secretariat’s defense, the gas refrigerator never did take off.
3. Anacin, 1969
Copy: “having to do the same dull work day after day—is a mild form of torture. This can bring on…what is now known as [DUN DUN DUN] ‘housewife headache.’” Nice Photoshoppy headache-y collage work!
Stupid bored, emotionally fatigued HOUSEWIFE.
4. Volkswagen, 1964
“Sooner or later…”
“Women are soft and gentle, but they hit things…She can jab the hood. Graze the door. Or bump the bumper…”
Give me the keys and go vacuum, Mrs. McCrash.
5. Lestoil, 1968
What does the future hold, ladies?
That pesky Moon dust ain’t gonna clean itself, subservient housewives.
6. Midol, 1974
That’s right, girls — be the you HE likes. Even if your Guy (note cap “G,” crampy chicks) wears patchwork-quilt shirts and looks like Ally Sheedy.
7. Listerine, 1932
That deafening sound you hear is the collective gargling of 5,000,000 paranoid young women of “marriage-able age.”
8. Listerine, 1946
Sorry for the low-res scan, but the copy starts:
“Will the law ever require women who are careless about their breath to wear bells to warn others of their approach? It’s not a bad idea.”
Let’s make a big honking cowbell!
9. Tab, 1969
LISTEN TO THAT SONG.
Print ad below.
STICK IN HIS MIND!
(He looks like her father.)
- Kids in California schools can no longer be opted out of vaccination on religious or personal grounds under a new law.
- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who has faced political fallout from the "Bridgegate" scandal, is running for president. He's the 14th Republican in the race.
- Misty Copeland has become the first black female principal dancer in American Ballet Theater's 75-year history.
- And Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck have decided to divorce after 10 years of marriage. ?