1. Google has been playing around with its Doodles since the World Cup started, and they’ve mostly been cute and playful, but Wednesday’s image is a bit tone deaf. The Doodle depicts a favela — or slum — where the letter “L” is playing with a ball by itself.
2. In favelas, people live in extreme poverty with lack of services, and they are often afflicted by severe crime and violence.
larigan - Patricia Hamilton/larigan - Patricia Hamilton
3. According to Google Doodle’s archive, the inspiration came from a sketch by artist Matt Cruickshank.
4. Many have complained on social media, pointing out that trying to make poverty look cute is insensitive.
11. Google has declined to comment.
In The News Today
- Hundreds of people have arrived by train to Austria from Hungary on Monday, as European Union asylum rules collapsed under the escalating migration crisis. ›
- A video released on Monday shows two Texas deputies fatally shooting a man with his hands up. A witness sold the footage to a local TV station for $100. ›
- President Obama called on global leaders to address climate change during a visit to the Alaskan Arctic. He is the first U.S. President to tour the Arctic. ›