Here’s Uruguay, right next to Argentina and Brazil.
Home to 3.3 million awesome Uruguayans.
1. They have the BEST President ever.
This is Jose Mujica, better known as Pepe.
He’s considered the ‘poorest President’ because he donates 90 percent of his salary to those in need.
He even drives his own car, an old light blue Volkswagen Beetle.
He and his wife are super chill.
And even pose to passersby during their vacations.
His speeches are always pure perfection.
“To live you need freedom, and to have freedom you need time.”
No, really, he’s the coolest President.
Here he is being all happy with a guitar signed by Aerosmith.
2. It was once dubbed “the Switzerland of America,” mainly for its banking stability.
So your savings will be safe!
4. Same sex marriage is legal - and celebrated.
5. So is marijuana.
6. It is one of the VERY few countries in Latin America where abortion is legal.
7. The opposition to the abortion law wanted a referendum but less than 10% of the population supported it so the law was maintainted.
8. Its beaches are one of the best kept secrets in South America.
Very very very nice beaches.
9. But there’s more to see than just sand… Uruguay is one of the leading meat producers in the world, as that is its main industry.
10. It’s estimated that there are 3.5 cows per every person in the country.
Which means you can either have a bunch as pets or eat a lot of meat.
12. They have a replacement for coffee: It’s called mate and it will amp you up when you drink it.
13. There’s a little town called Cabo Polonio where there’s no electricity ON PURPOSE. Perfect place to get over your Instagram addiction, huh?
14. But if you’re looking for less silence, Punta del Este is considered one of the best party cities in the world.
15. Their music will get you out of any chair.
Hit play and test yourself.
17. They not only hosted the first World Cup but also won it. And they’re hoping to win again next year.
They have so much confidence they’ll win that when they qualified they made fun of Brazil.
Because why not?