1. Emblematic figure of Rio and Brazil, the Cristo Redentor was inaugurated on October 12 1931.
2. The statue of the Christ is one of the most well known images in the world:
3. And despite that, sometimes you come across images of it that are breathtaking:
6. That day was CRAY.
7. When Rio hits heat records during the summer, who’s up there?
10. The Cristo Redentor also changes color: on june 2012 it was green in honor of Rio+20.
11. He’s been green and yellow…
12. And even blue!
13. Sometimes he changes color because he’s awesome. Ok, it’s actually because of the sun’s position. But he’s still awesome.
14. This year the Christ was hit by lighting.
15. It ruined one of the hands of the Christ.
16. … And people went there to fix it.
“Let me see where it hit you, Christ”.
17. It’s probably not easy to be working all the way up there, but look at that view:
18. … Someone has to do the hard job.
19. All these guys working in keeping the Christ together deserve a round of applause:
*clap clap clap*
20. But their job has some advantages… They get to see the heart of Christ from inside.
21. In 2010, close to turning 80 years old, the statue of Cristo Redentor was vandalized for the first time ever.
22. The statue is located overlooking most of Rio de Janeiro, you even get to see the Maracanã stadium.
(Yes, the World Cup will take place!)