3. “I began to think vodka was my drink at last. It didn’t taste like anything, but it went straight down into my stomach like a sword swallowers’ sword and made me feel powerful and godlike.”
4. “What horrifies me most is the idea of being useless: well-educated, brilliantly promising, and fading out into an indifferent middle age.”
5. “Why the hell are we conditioned into the smooth strawberry-and-cream Mother-Goose-world, Alice-in-Wonderland fable, only to be broken on the wheel as we grow older and become aware of ourselves as individuals with a dull responsibility in life?”
6. “To the person in the bell jar, blank and stopped as a dead baby, the world itself is a bad dream.”
7. “I like people too much or not at all. I’ve got to go down deep, to fall into people, to really know them.”
8. “I thought it would be easy, lying in the tub and seeing the redness flower from my wrists, flush after flush through the clear water, till I sank into sleep under a surface gaudy as poppies.”
9. “Is there no way out of the mind?”
10. “How much of my brain is willfully my own? How much is not a rubber stamp of what I have read and heard and lived?”
11. “I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead; I lift my lids and all is born again. (I think I made you up inside my head.)”
12. “Everything people did seemed so silly, because they only died in the end.”
13. “And what do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones, and variations of mental and physical experience possible in my life. And I am horribly limited.”
14. “I do not love anybody except myself. That is a rather shocking thing to admit.”
Here Are The Top Stories
- Dylann Roof wants to plead guilty, his attorney said. He is accused of killing nine people at a Charleston church in June.
- The World Health Organization says that an interim analysis of a potential Ebola vaccine shows "100% efficacy in individuals."
- Beijing won its bid to host the 2022 Winter Olympics. It's the first city to host both the summer and winter games.