3. “I began to think vodka was my drink at last. It didn’t taste like anything, but it went straight down into my stomach like a sword swallowers’ sword and made me feel powerful and godlike.”
4. “What horrifies me most is the idea of being useless: well-educated, brilliantly promising, and fading out into an indifferent middle age.”
5. “Why the hell are we conditioned into the smooth strawberry-and-cream Mother-Goose-world, Alice-in-Wonderland fable, only to be broken on the wheel as we grow older and become aware of ourselves as individuals with a dull responsibility in life?”
6. “To the person in the bell jar, blank and stopped as a dead baby, the world itself is a bad dream.”
7. “I like people too much or not at all. I’ve got to go down deep, to fall into people, to really know them.”
8. “I thought it would be easy, lying in the tub and seeing the redness flower from my wrists, flush after flush through the clear water, till I sank into sleep under a surface gaudy as poppies.”
9. “Is there no way out of the mind?”
10. “How much of my brain is willfully my own? How much is not a rubber stamp of what I have read and heard and lived?”
11. “I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead; I lift my lids and all is born again. (I think I made you up inside my head.)”
12. “Everything people did seemed so silly, because they only died in the end.”
13. “And what do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones, and variations of mental and physical experience possible in my life. And I am horribly limited.”
14. “I do not love anybody except myself. That is a rather shocking thing to admit.”
Here Are The Top Stories
- The U.S. government is investigating possible unlawful coordination by some airlines to keep prices high ✈️
- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry will travel to Cuba later this summer for the opening of a U.S. embassy there.
- Nicholas Winton, who saved more than 650 Jewish children from the Holocaust, died at 106.
- Mozambique implemented a new criminal code that removes a colonial-era law criminalizing homosexuality.