7. Always make your own vinaigrette instead of buying bottled salad dressing.
Homemade vinaigrette — one part vinegar or citrus juice, two parts oil, plus whatever flavorings you’d like — is not only super easy to make, it’s also healthier than the bottled kind, since there are no preservatives, colorings, or added sugars.
Recipe: Simone’s Shallot Vinaigrette
11. Instead of burgers, grill a lean cut of steak.
Burgers inevitably come with all kinds of not-so-healthy extras: cheese, sugary condiments, bacon, white bread, more cheese, etc. These add up quickly, so you’re better off eating a super-flavorful piece of steak, with salsa verde or just a little bit of steak sauce.
13. Grill chicken that will upstage any red meat by marinating it beforehand.
Simply marinating your chicken in a mixture of lemon juice and soy sauce for at least an hour before grilling it will make it delicious. More importantly, it’ll keep it from drying out on the grill.
Recipe: Grilled Chicken Thighs
20. Consider the wine spritzer.
One part white wine + One part club soda makes for a low-calorie drink that’s perfect for summer. Also, diluting the wine with water means the booze won’t go to your head and convince you that eating three cheeseburgers is a good idea.
Recipe: Wine Spritzer
22. Serve sweet, caramelized grilled fruit for dessert.
- Former Virginia Gov. Jim Gilmore is dropping out of the race for the Republican presidential nomination. He got 133 votes in New Hampshire.
- Venezuela is reporting hospitalizations and three deaths as the Zika virus, which is linked to birth defects, spreads.
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz.
Connect With FoodLike Us On Facebook Follow Us On Pinterest Follow Us On Twitter Follow Us On Apple News
Report an Issue
Drag to highlight one or more parts of the screen.
We got your feedback, and we'll follow up with you at
Sadly, an error occured while sending your feedback. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know.