1. There are currently only 400 Sumatran tigers left in the wild, putting them at extremely high risk of going extinct.
2. In an effort to bring awareness to this problem, Smithsonian’s National Zoo & Conservation Biology Institute teamed up with the band, Portugal the Man.
3. The band created the song “Sumatran Tiger” and distributed the only 400 records with this song on them, on Earth Day this year.
4. The records will degrade over time as the record is played and the song will only survive if the song gets digitized.
5. Without effort, the tigers will disappear as well.
Here Are The Top Stories
- The family of Sandra Bland, who died in a Texas jail cell in July three days after she was detained during a traffic stop, filed a wrongful death lawsuit in federal court.
- Migrant deaths in the Mediterranean have exceeded 2,000, making 2015 the deadliest year for people trying to reach Europe, according to the International Organization for Migration.
- Rapper 50 Cent may claim he's broke, but court records filed in his bankruptcy case show he has $10 million in various bank accounts.