1. Pit bulls are stereotyped as a vicious, untrustworthy breed.
2. Anyone looking at this face can tell that beneath it lies nothing but love.
5. Unfortunately, their strength and perceived insensitivity to pain lead to being exploited by humans and made to fight.
There is also a rumor that pit bulls have “locking jaws” that make them a fearsome breed. While these dogs do have a strong jaw, their jaws do not physiologically lock. This is a behavioral trait specific to the dog itself, NOT the breed as a whole.
6. …which is heartbreaking once you realize violence is not in their nature but merely a trait taught to them.
7. Because pit bulls have been bred to be “fighting dogs,” they may require a little extra socialization and TLC during puppyhood.
The ASPCA asserts, “The best way to prevent the development of aggressive behavior toward other dogs is to focus on early socialization… Despite the fact that pit bulls were bred to fight with each other, early breeders took pride in producing dogs that were trustworthy and friendly to people.”
8. Remember: “There are no bad breeds, just bad (or uninformed) owners.”
10. Let’s stop and talk about this hero who took a bullet for his owner.
Don’t worry! He survived.
14. The AKC confirms the breed’s propensity toward “courage and intelligence.”
16. And love and respect their mothers as every child should.
18. This pit bull with his best friends — cat and many chicks — should make you second guess the pit bull’s supposed “inherent volatile nature.”
24. Many adoring pit bull owners assert that their dogs have a great sense of humor.
26. Hey, remember when this happened?
And it just kept getting better…
And OMG a chick on his head?
On his snout?? THE PATIENCE!
Has your heart exploded yet?
Yes, this is real life, and yes, he is a pit bull.
28. One of many examples of pit bulls taking part in interspecies friendship.
30. Which makes them great family dogs.
The AKC sites the breed standard as having “affection for its friends, and children in particular…off-duty quietness and trustworthy stability.” More than that, the ASPCA speaks to their roots as family dogs, given the nickname “nurse’s maid” because of their sweetness with children.
31. Fiona Apple, on her pit bull, Janet: “She is my best friend and my mother and my daughter, my benefactor, and she’s the one who taught me what love is.”
32. This pit bull introducing her new babies to her human’s baby fills us up with so many feels.
33. Basically, pit bulls can be your best friends.
34. So maybe we should all think twice before judging this entire breed…
36. Can we get once last “Awwww”?
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel on Saturday in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- One person was killed and two others were seriously injured Friday when an air medical transport helicopter crashed in Colorado.
- Popular sections of Reddit went dark Thursday as confusion and protests swept the site.