1. When you wave to someone you don’t know and then try to play it cool.
Look, they probably didn’t even realize you were waving at them. This feels more awful than it is. (*What you tell yourself*)
2. Or when you start laughing really hard and no one else is amused.
Pity the fool who does this in a meeting or lecture.
3. When your stomach starts to make noises in the middle of an otherwise quiet room.
“It’s not a fart! I promise!”
4. Actually farting.
But like, everyone does it so as long as it’s not smelly…whatever.
5. Falling asleep in an inappropriate place.
It wouldn’t be nearly as obvious if you weren’t jolted awake by the sound of your own breath.
6. Taking a dump in a public restroom and someone goes into the stall next to you.
*OR WORSE, someone you KNOW.
7. Leaving the bathroom with toilet paper on your butt or shoe or really, any part of your person.
This really shouldn’t be so embarrassing if the TP is clean but it IS.
8. That whole, “hug or kiss on the cheek, shit this turned into a real kiss” confusion.
That kiss on the cheek is presumptuous and only leads to kissing less “chic” individuals with a kiss on their neck that they did not want.
10. Tripping and then playing it cool.
There’s just no recovering from that no matter how hard you try.
12. Falling in holes.
Look, it’s awkward ‘cause it would probably hurt and I wouldn’t wish it on my greatest enemy.
13. Doing something silly and your friend ignores it, making you seem like a real a-hole.
If you act like an asshole and no one sees it, are you still an asshole? YES, BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO LIVE WITH YOURSELF.
14. A child making fun of you.
Jonh Mulaney put it best when he said, “They will make fun of you but in an accurate way.”
15. Saying bye to someone and realizing you’re going in the same direction.
Actually maybe the worst thing in the world.
16. Spitting on/getting spit on in a conversation. Especially with an acquaintance.
“IF YOU’RE NOT MENTIONING IT, SHOULD I MENTION IT? WHY IS THIS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW?”
17. Getting into a crowded elevator, facing the opposite direction of everyone else, and not being able to turn around.
NOWHERE TO GO, NOWHERE TO TURN, TRAPPED FOREVER IN A METAL TOMB OF AWKWARDNESS.
18. Getting cut off by the bartender and you aren’t even drunk.
OK, maybe this one is your fault. Try being less obnoxious.
19. Not correcting someone when they mispronounce your name and then you end up getting to know them and every time they say “Kelsey” instead of “Chelsea” it’s painfully awkward.
Yes, you should correct them right away, but if you don’t catch them and it’s just a quick “hey, wrong name!” it’s so.freakin.hard.
20. Getting stuck in anything but especially things meant for children.
Why did you even try to fit in that swing?
21. Realizing you are in the wrong class.
The longer you stay, the worse it is.