Don’t you just hate dealing with your eyebrows?
Cara Delevingne feels you.
And ugh, don’t get me started on some of the most coveted brows.
You want to get them waxed…
…but that could irritate and thin your skin out.
Or get them threaded…
…but you don’t want to leave the house for an appointment.
So here’s what you need to know:
1. First, you need to learn how to effectively shape your brows.
Shaping your brows shouldn’t have to do with trends — tailor them based on your own measurements and facial structure.
2. Going to a professional to get a shape is OK too.
If you start with a good, professional shaping, you can maintain the look with your own grooming routine.
3. And then there’s the upkeep.
4. You can create holes by plucking a group of hairs.
Although it could take forever to pluck individual hairs, you can also mess up your shape by taking out clumps of strands in one move. Try to limit the amount you target at one time, and you’ll avoid a jagged look.
5. Brow pencils and shadow are great for filling in.
Brow shadow definitely helps in creating texture and richer color.
If you have an eyeshadow that’s similar to your brow color, that works too. It offers a more natural look than pencil.
6. Enhance super light eyebrows.
7. If you want your eyebrows to match your hair color, you can try dyeing them.
This will prevent you from having to fill in your eyebrows every morning.
See the full tutorial here.
Check out these brow color suggestions:
8. Steer clear of plucking too close to the mirror, because you’ll lose sight of the shape.
While you want to get closer to the mirror while tweezing, make sure to take a step back every once in a while to see if you’re staying in the direction of your arch and length.
Additionally, you should avoid tweezing on a daily basis.
9. Use heat to open up your pores for brow grooming, especially for a unibrow.
Take it easy on yourself and open up your pores so the hair slides out better. The steam from the shower or a hot compress is perfect for this process. And if you’re plucking a sensitive area, like the middle of a unibrow, the heat will make it a little less painful.
10. Lighting is a crucial factor.
Obviously, you don’t want to pluck your eyebrows in the dark — but you should pay attention to what kind of illumination you have going on. If there’s a shadow on one of your brows, you might over pluck!
Get some natural light by touching up your eyebrows in the car, but please don’t do it while driving — you’ll just be asking for a disaster.
11. Embrace the “sister brows” philosophy.
“Remember, though your eyebrows are sisters and not twins. It’s OK if they’re not symmetrical and perfect.”
12. Too short? No problem, makeup will save you.
The magic power of makeup rescues the woes of over-plucking or sparse brows.
13. Numb the plucking pain with Orajel or cuticle cream.
14. Your grooming tools matter.
Tweezers should be sharp and slanted to ensure effective use, while people with thicker and longer eyebrow hairs should try brow trimmers that have a curled tip.
16. If you absolutely NEED to wax at home, remember to be cautious.
Make sure you’re working on a clean surface so you don’t get excess dirt and oil on the strips. Keep tabs on the wax’s temperature to prevent burns, and don’t wax more than once in one area — at that point, you’re just pulling skin.
Finally, if you’re using a kit, read ALL of the directions.
17. Natural oils can help with post-grooming cleaning and redness.
Damone Roberts also mentions the importance of cleaning and moisturizing your eyebrows. Oils like tea tree will calm the skin and help combat breakouts and redness.
And finally, you should always remember this important message:
- Afghan officials are investigating reports that Mullah Mohammed Omar, the leader of the Taliban, is dead.
- Officials released new footage proving Sandra Bland was "alive and well" when her mugshot was taken. The release aims to counter social media rumors that she was deceased in the photo.
- Michel Platini, the current UEFA president, will be a candidate in the 2016 FIFA election to replace Sepp Blatter ⚽️