1. For the first time since the Order of the British Empire was founded in 1917, it has recognised more women than men on its New Year’s Honours List.
There are 611 women on the list, making up 51%. Previously, the highest proportion of women on the list was 47%.
2. Iconic actor Angela Lansbury will be made a Dame.
Lansbury told the BBC of the honour: “I’m joining a marvellous group of women I greatly admire like Judi Dench and Maggie Smith. It’s a lovely thing to be given that nod of approval by your own country and I really cherish it.”
3. As will actor Penelope Keith.
Keith has said: “It’s a recognition for not only my 54 years being an actress but also for all the charities with which I’m associated and I think they’ll be thrilled.”
4. Karren Brady, described on her Wikipedia profile as an “English sporting executive, politician, television broadcaster, newspaper columnist, author and novelist” can now add CBE to her credentials.
5. Julie Bailey, the campaigner who created the group “Cure the NHS” after witnessing her mother’s treatment at Stafford Hospital, will become a CBE.
Helene Donnelly, a nurse at Stafford Hospital that became a whistleblower, will be given an OBE.
6. Singer Katherine Jenkins will become an OBE.
7. As will writer, comedian and broadcaster Sandi Toksvig.
8. And Lynda Bellingham will, too, become an OBE for her charity work, although she’s best known for her long-running Oxo adverts.
9. English footballer Rachel Yankey will now be an OBE, in addition to her previously awarded MBE.
10. And while many were surprised that Andy Murray was not honoured this year, former Wimbledon champion Ann Jones becomes a CBE.
11. And Ruth Jones, co-creator of Gavin & Stacey, is also set to become an MBE.
12. As for the men, DJ Pete Tong will become an MBE.
13. Entrepreneur Michael Acton Smith, the creator of Moshi Monsters, will become an OBE.
14. And the man who sculpted the famous “Angel Of The North”, Antony Gormley, will be given a knighthood.
Keir Starmer and Michael Codron will also join him in becoming knights.