1. A female tourist accidentally walked off St. Kilda’s Pier in Melbourne, Australia, because she was too busy checking Facebook on her mobile phone to notice that she was about to fall into the ocean.
Thankfully someone noticed that she had fallen, and raised the alarm to alert police.
2. Police rescued the woman by speedboat after about 20 minutes of her being in the water.
She was taken to the hosptial straight after for examination, but the police say she didn’t suffer any injuries. They also said that the woman “kept hold of her mobile phone throughout the entire ordeal.”
3. After being rescued, police say the woman apologised, saying, “I was checking my Facebook page on the phone and I’ve fallen in.”
Australian Broadcasting Corporation quoted Senior Constable Dean Kelly also saying: “She was still out in the water laying on her back in a floating position because she told us later that she couldn’t swim.”
4. Constable Kelly advised that people should pay more attention when using social media around water.
- U.S. President Barack Obama visited Oregon on Friday to meet with victims' families after last week's deadly campus shooting. Gun-rights activists protested his visit. ›
- The U.S. ended its $500 million program that trains and equips Syrian rebels in their fight against ISIS. ›
- A judge halted all eight scheduled executions in Arkansas. Inmates are challenging a law allowing the state to keep the source of its execution drugs a secret. ›