1. A female tourist accidentally walked off St. Kilda’s Pier in Melbourne, Australia, because she was too busy checking Facebook on her mobile phone to notice that she was about to fall into the ocean.
Thankfully someone noticed that she had fallen, and raised the alarm to alert police.
2. Police rescued the woman by speedboat after about 20 minutes of her being in the water.
She was taken to the hosptial straight after for examination, but the police say she didn’t suffer any injuries. They also said that the woman “kept hold of her mobile phone throughout the entire ordeal.”
3. After being rescued, police say the woman apologised, saying, “I was checking my Facebook page on the phone and I’ve fallen in.”
Australian Broadcasting Corporation quoted Senior Constable Dean Kelly also saying: “She was still out in the water laying on her back in a floating position because she told us later that she couldn’t swim.”
4. Constable Kelly advised that people should pay more attention when using social media around water.
- A University of Cincinnati officer has been charged with murder for shooting Samuel Dubose, an unarmed black man.
- Regulators are looking into allegations of "deceptive or unfair" marketing practices at the University of Phoenix.
- Mullah Omar, the Taliban's reclusive leader, died more than two years ago, Afghan officials say. The Taliban hasn't commented.