1. A female tourist accidentally walked off St. Kilda’s Pier in Melbourne, Australia, because she was too busy checking Facebook on her mobile phone to notice that she was about to fall into the ocean.
Thankfully someone noticed that she had fallen, and raised the alarm to alert police.
2. Police rescued the woman by speedboat after about 20 minutes of her being in the water.
She was taken to the hosptial straight after for examination, but the police say she didn’t suffer any injuries. They also said that the woman “kept hold of her mobile phone throughout the entire ordeal.”
3. After being rescued, police say the woman apologised, saying, “I was checking my Facebook page on the phone and I’ve fallen in.”
Australian Broadcasting Corporation quoted Senior Constable Dean Kelly also saying: “She was still out in the water laying on her back in a floating position because she told us later that she couldn’t swim.”
4. Constable Kelly advised that people should pay more attention when using social media around water.
- A Guatemalan judge ordered former President Otto Perez Molina held in jail overnight while hearings over the corruption scandal that led to his resignation take place. ›
- Prosecutors will seek the death penalty for Dylann Roof, accused of killing nine people in a Charleston church in June. ›
- The Justice Dept. has tightened rules on cell phone tracking, forcing federal agencies to get a warrant. ›