1. New York, 1913: Emmeline Pankhurst being released from detainment on Ellis Island.
2. Moscow, 2013: Pussy Riot’s Maria Alyokhina at Kursky railway station after being freed from prison.
3. London, 1909: Imprisoned suffragettes waving through the windows of Holloway prison.
4. Mordvinia, Russia, 2013: Nadia Tolokonnikova behind bars at a court hearing.
5. New York, 1970: Bella Abzug at the Women’s Liberation Day parade, celebrating the 50th anniversary of women winning the right to vote in the US.
6. Santo Domingo, 2012: Dominican feminists protesting against “femicide”.
7. New York, 1911: Emmeline Pankhurst being jeered by a crowd of men.
8. Maputo, Mozambique, 2012: A feminist protester holding up a sign that says, “Nothing is more sexy than a feminist man”.
9. US, 1913: Suffragettes campaigning for the right to vote with an “I wish Ma could vote” banner.
10. Barcelona, Spain, 2014: Women with “I am a free woman” and “Feminists are diverse” banners at a protest against the Spanish government’s plans to reform abortion laws.
11. London, 1971: Members of the women’s liberation movement protesting against the Miss World contest at the Royal Albert Hall.
12. Madrid, 2013: A member of Femen being detained by police at an anti-abortion march.
13. London, 1971: More members of Britain’s women’s liberation movement protesting the Miss World competition.
14. Ankara, Turkey, 2011: Women marching on International Women’s Day for stronger punishments for perpetrators of “honour crimes” and violence against women.
15. UK, 1908: Christabel Pankhurst and her mother, Emmeline, met by supporters and friends after their release from prison.
16. Warsaw, 2012: Supporters of Pussy Riot outside the Russian embassy, protesting against the two-year sentence given to three members of the band.
17. Davos, Switzerland, 2013: A member of Femen releasing pink smoke at the World Economic Forum.
18. UK, 1972 (left): Spare Rib founders Marsha Rowe and Rosie Boycott at their offices. US, 1972 (right): Ms. founder Gloria Steinem.
19. Barcelona, Spain, 2010: Two women wearing mitres that read “I’m lesbian, adulterous, pro-abortion, and I do it with condoms” at a protest against Pope Benedict XVI.
20. London, 1911: Charlotte Despard and fellow suffragettes at a National Federation of Women Workers march.
21. London, 2012: Actors dressed as suffragettes reenacting a march on parliament.
22. UK, 1913 (left): Suffragette Annie Kenney being arrested during a demonstration. Moscow, 2012 (right): A supporter of Pussy Riot being detained by police for demonstrating against the court’s sentencing of three members of the band.
23. London, 1914: Suffragettes being arrested for chaining themselves to the railings of Buckingham Palace.
24. Kiev, 2013: A member of Femen being arrested while protesting the jailing of Alexei Navalny.
26. Paris, 2013: A topless member of Femen with “May fascists rest in hell” written on her chest being arrested outside Notre-Dame.
27. London, 1914 (left): Emmeline Pankhurst being arrested for joining demonstrations outside Buckingham Palace. Paris, 2013 (right): A Femen member being arrested for protesting the arrest of activist Amina Sboui by the Tunisian government.
28. London, 1914 (left): A woman being restrained by three policeman for demonstrating outside Buckingham Palace. Madrid, 2013 (right): A Femen activist with “Get out of my vagina” written on her chest being detained by riot police for crashing an anti-abortion demonstration.
29. UK, 1914: A suffragette being arrested during a protest.
30. Moscow, 2014: Nadezhda Tolokonnikova being detained by police at a protest near Red Square.
31. Managua, Nicaragua, 2014: A feminist activist trying to get through a police barricade during an International Women’s Day march.
32. UK, 1914: A police officer attempting to remove a suffragette from the railings of Buckingham Palace.
33. Managua, Nicaragua, 2014: An activist being blocked while trying to cross a police barricade during an International Woman’s Day march.
34. Chicago, 1922: A woman being arrested for wearing a one-piece bathing suit without leg covers, which were required by law at the time.
35. Brussels, 2013: A security guard holding a topless member of Femen in a headlock after she tried to stop the car of the Tunisian prime minister from leaving the EU commission building.
36. London, 1914: Police leading arrested protesters away from a suffragette “attack” on Buckingham Palace.
37. Moscow, 2014: Maria Alyokhina being detained by police for protesting outside a Moscow courthouse.
38. London, 1914: An arrested suffragette being led to Bow Street police station.
39. Istanbul, 2013: A Femen activist being arrested for protesting against Turkish prime minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan at Sabiha Gokcen airport.
40. Sochi, Russia, 2014: Members of Pussy Riot – including Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and Maria Alekhina – being attacked by a Cossack militiaman after trying to stage a protest performance against the Sochi Olympics.
41. London, 2012: A supporter of Pussy Riot demonstrating outside the Russian embassy.
This article has been changed to clarify that the photograph in item number eight was taken in Maputo, Mozambique.
- Police in Athens used pepper spray on protesters two days ahead of Greece's major bailout vote.