1. When somebody refers to you as an “Internet Feminist”:
What does that even mean?
2. When somebody with “conservative values” follows you on Twitter:
3. When a fellow feminist you really like says something shitty in an article:
What is even happening?
4. And then makes it even worse by being a dick about it on Twitter:
Please stop blocking everyone who disagrees with you on Twitter. So much for the Sisterhood, eh?
5. When someone says “so much for the Sisterhood”:
8. When you say something particularly badass and get loads of RTs:
I am a FEMINIST NINJA!
9. When you post a photo of your manicure on Instagram and you’re told to “check your privilege”:
I did it myself using ORGANIC FAIR-TRADE NAIL VARNISH. What else do you people want from me?!
10. When Spotify unexpectedly unveils your un-feminist music choices to your Facebook friends:
11. And it’s hard to feel bad because the music is SO GOOD:
Seriously WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE SO CATCHY?!
My feminist brain says no but my tapping foot says YES. This is the last time* I’m going to allow myself to listen to this.
12. When you realise feminists you thought were your friends are talking crap about something you wrote:
13. When people online make things about feminism when they don’t necessarily have to be:
Do we have to do this right now?! I just want to watch the VMAs…
14. When a male commentator on TV says something so feminist you want to hug him:
15. And then wonder why there wasn’t a woman on TV to talk about the same issue:
16. When another feminist tries to tell you the correct way to be a feminist:
17. When feminists are told to “stop complaining” on Twitter when raising a serious issue:
18. And then later the same week feminists are told they need to “speak up more”:
22. And then drowned in a sea of guilt over your own privilege:
SO MUCH PRIVILEGE. SO MUCH STRUGGLE.
23. When you go to a feminist meetup and no one speaks to you:
It’s mostly because everyone is just a bit socially awkward but STILL.
24. When your favorite feminist follows you back on Twitter:
You like me! You really like me!
25. And then when you realise they’ve unfollowed you:
Was it something I said? (Yes.)
26. When you see women you really like being horrible to each other online:
Just stop it. STOP.
27. How you feel when you’re hanging out in the non-feminist parts of the internet:
28. When someone tells you what you’ve said isn’t feminist enough:
29. When the same five white feminists are on every panel, every list, and are asked to speak at every conference EVER:
How hard is it?!
30. When a feminist threatens to leave Twitter and the internet ONCE AND FOR ALL…
31. When a young girl reaches out to you because she wants to get more involved with feminism:
Start your blog, padawan. I will be your feminist spirit guide.
33. And then you discover you disagree with approximately two-thirds of it:
34. When your family doesn’t understand why you get so upset about “all that feminist stuff”:
Ugh, GOD MOM.
36. When everyone starts freaking out and arguing over something you’ve written:
37. When a celebrity who totally is a feminist swears that she isn’t:
WHY ARE YOU SAYING THESE THINGS?!
38. When you make the mistake of checking Twitter on a Sunday and all the feminists are fighting:
39. When your feminist buddies online see someone engaging with a troll:
DON’T DO IT!