1. The Sochi mascots look great in the Russian Olympic promo materials.
2. But their real-life actualizations are terrifying.
Julian Finney / Getty Images
4. People have dubbed the atrocity “Nightmare Bear.”
5. But Nightmare Bear’s reveal at the opening ceremonies melted retinas.
6. Viewers recoiled in terror.
7. And the internet went to work on Nightmare Bear.
18. Some saw irony.
19. And everyone wondered collectively why Russia didn’t just dig up the happy Olympic bear from the 1980s…
20. Good luck sleeping tonight.
Here Are The Top Stories
- Migrant deaths in the Mediterranean have exceeded 2,000, making 2015 the deadliest year for people trying to reach Europe, according to the International Organization for Migration.
- Three major U.S. airlines — Delta, American, and United — have banned the transport of big game trophies after the illegal killing of Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe.
- On August 4th, 2011, the death of Mark Duggan — an unarmed black man — at the hands of police officers in north London sparked nationwide riots.