1. He embraces his gingerness.
Have you ever heard a redhead in the media talk about their hair color so much? Examples: “From day one, I’ve been prepared/With vo5 wax for my ginger hair” (from “You Need Me, I Don’t Need You), “You might be left with my hair, but you’ll have your mother’s eyes” (from “Small Bump). Whatever, he loves it, and so do we.
2. He loves his booze.
I mean, there’s a whole song about it (aptly named “Drunk”), and he mentions his penchant for alcohol in “Wake Me Up,” “U.N.I,” “Grade A,” etc. He was pretty young when he wrote these songs (He’s only 22 now), but we’ll just assume he wrote them all after he turned 18…
3. His music videos are gold.
In “Drunk,” Ed spends the whole time getting drunk (duh) with A CAT. Yeah… just watch it:
And I’m sure you’ve heard about the “Lego House” video… when I first discovered it, I tweeted it at my Harry Potter-obsessed younger sister, and wouldn’t let up until she watched it.
4. He can sing AND rap AND play the guitar. WELL.
Just take a moment to think about it: How many artists do you know that do all of those things really, REALLY well? Not to mention he writes all of it, too.
5. Speaking of writing… did you know he wrote this gem?
And don’t worry, he’s gotten his dues. Here he is singing it live. Swoon over 1D all you want, this is what I’ll be watching.
6. He’s humorous.
He likes throwing puns into the mix: The chorus of U.N.I begins: “You and I, ended over U-N-I” which stands for “Uni,” or “University.” (His girl went off to college, and that’s why they broke things off.) In “You Need Me, I Don’t Need You,” one choice line goes: “They say I’m up and coming like I’m f***ing in an elevator.”
7. He’s passionate, and dedicated as hell.
Ed moved to London with essentially nothing in his pockets at 17, and played as many gigs as he possibly could. He has written about living on couches, scraping by on what free food he could get, and rarely sleeping, all so that he could live his dream. He played over 300 shows in one year!
8. He’s British.
Obviously. But it’s worth putting on this list, because it’s just one more thing about him that’s awesome.
- Migrant deaths in the Mediterranean have exceeded 2,000, making 2015 the deadliest year for people trying to reach Europe, according to the International Organization for Migration.
- Three major U.S. airlines — Delta, American, and United — have banned the transport of big game trophies after the illegal killing of Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe.
- On August 4th, 2011, the death of Mark Duggan — an unarmed black man — at the hands of police officers in north London sparked nationwide riots.