1. White Monarch Butterflies
White Monarch Butterflies are a naturally occurring, but rare variant of the standard orange Monarch. This color appears in roughly 1% of the Monarch population.
2. Purple Corn Snakes
Corn snakes are normally red with orange saddle marks, but there are a variety of corn snake color morphs ranging from fluorescent orange to purple.
3. Green Sloths
Sloths sometimes appear to be green because their fur is an ideal environment for blue-green algae. Unlike most fur-bearing animals, sloths’ fur will absorb water, which encourages algae to grow and impart a green hue. Click here to read more about a Finnish study on the symbiotic relationship between sloths and algae.
4. Yellow Lobsters
Denny Ingram, pictured above, caught this yellow lobster in Newport, Rhode Island. Approximately 1 in every 30 million lobsters is yellow.
5. Blue Tree Frogs
Hyla meridionalis, the Mediterranean Tree Frog, and Hyla aborea, the European Tree Frog, are normally bright green. But every once and a while a blue specimen, like the Mediterranean Tree Frog shown above, is born.
6. Orange Crocodiles
In late 2011, Snappy the crocodile surprised his handlers by suddenly turning orange. The reptile experts at the Roaming Reptiles Park in Australia attributed the change to a broken filter; Snappy had attacked it prior to his dramatic color change, and handlers suspected that iron or tannins in the water were responsible. No harm came to Snappy after he turned orange. Coincidentally, an orange alligator was sighted earlier in 2011.
7. Pink African Grey Parrots
Pink patches in African Greys (which, as you might guess, are normally grey) began as a naturally occurring color morph. Over the years, breeders ended up with 100% pink specimens. The first all-pink Greys sold for over $150,000.
8. Metallic Green Bees
When we think bees, we think yellow and black stripes. But in reality, bees come in a variety of colors, including red, blue, and green. Bees in the genus Agapostemon are not only green, but shiny. If you can stand the joke: green sweat bees are the shiny Pokémon of the bee world.
- Chicago officials have released the video of a white police officer fatally shooting Laquan McDonald, a black teenager. The officer was charged with murder Tuesday. ›
- At least 19 people in seven U.S. states have been infected with E. coli in an outbreak officials believe is linked to rotisserie chicken salads sold at Costco. ›
- Adele broke the single-week U.S. album sales record set by NSYNC in 2000. "25" sold at least 2.43 million in about three days. ›