1. Rapper Rick Ross has well over 100 tattoos that cover almost every surface of his body.
This month in New York, BuzzFeed asked the Maybach rapper to walk us through some of his most memorable and personal ink.
2. The Teflon Don’s first tattoo — a dollar sign he got when he was 13 or 14 — was a sign of things to come.
3. But where on his body was it?
4. “Man… It’s in the midst! It’s in the midst…because I had to get it somewhere my shirt wouldn’t really show it, you know?”
“I wasn’t really hiding it, but I just was’t loose with it, you know what I’m saying? My mom had seen it, but I just wasn’t loose with it, loose with it.”
5. His most personal tattoos, though, are the ones that honor the people he’s lost.
6. “I have a ‘Rest In Peace’ to my dad. ‘Rest In Peace’ to three or four of my friends. My favorite Bible scriptures — Psalm 27…”
7. “…’Against All Odds,’ ‘Millionaire,’ [and] different cars I received.”
8. “I have over 50 different dollar signs tattooed on me in different places.”
9. And what do they represent? “Get money. Get money. Fuck what anyone talking about — get money.”
10. Rozay has his childhood nickname, “Chill Will,” tatted across his stomach…
11. …as well as his goal: “100 Million.”
His other tattoos include skulls (one of which is on his stomach, with his belly button standing in as the nasal cavity), “5 Star G,” his nickname “Teflon Don,” and “the list goes on…”
13. He has both his parents’ birthdates tattooed as Roman numerals on his bottom knuckles, with “Rick Ross” spelled out across his top ones.
14. “I have a ‘W’ here for win, because thats what’s always on my mind.”
15. So, when you’re a walking piece of art with a tattoo addiction, what happens when you run out of room on your arms and chest?
“I started on my legs now,” Ross says. “I have a Darth Vader right here [on my thigh], [and] I have a Basquiat on the other thigh.”
16. Ross says he uses tattoos as “timekeepers,” or reminders that immortalize major moments in his life.
“My memory isn’t the best, but when I look at a tattoo I remember where I was at that time frame in my life, so for me it’s almost like a timekeeper,” he said. “[All of my tattoos are of] the different things that I love, different things that I admire, different things that I will stand for, different things that I would die for, and different things that make me happy.”
17. While he’s never regretted any of his ink, he’s had some botched work done where his artist “might have been on mushrooms…”
“I haven’t really regretted any of my tattoos. There are some tattoos where my artist might have been on mushrooms,” he admits, laughing. “And I’ve just said, ‘I don’t know what the fuck you were smoking, because I dozed off and you done fucked up. You owe me 20 hours, motherfucker!’ But other than that, the memories is what it’s about.”
18. Rozay’s advice for people nervous about getting something permanently inked on their body?
19. “My mind frame was always that it’s all about your spirit. Can’t cherish the flesh. That’d be over before we know it.”
“You know what I mean? And it’s all on you. You know I’mma rep. It’s how I feel good.”
20. “And don’t I look beautiful?”
- Turkey's military released an audio recording of what it says were warnings to the Russian warplane before it was downed near Syria's border. ›
- Protesters marched in Chicago for the second night in a row after the release of a video showing the police shooting of black teen Laquan McDonald. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›