1. Seth Meyers’ second night as host of Late Night included a very special guest: the one and only Kanye West.
2. The two discussed the end of the Yeezus tour (“It’s kind of sad when it’s over”), and why he wore a mask onstage for almost two hours (“It’s freeing”).
“The mask is great,” Kanye said. “It’s freeing. A place where you can express yourself to your audience, to everyone, without being judged, without having to live up to whatever you represent, whatever your name means or doesn’t mean. To feel like a new artist again.”
3. He also dropped this truth bomb after Meyers asked about the difference in his approach to fashion and music: “Everything in the world is exactly the same.”
4. And he revealed that his new album would have “artistic, intellectual, kid-friendly songs” now that he’s a father.
With Kanye already back in the studio, Meyers asked whether baby North and being a first-time dad will influence his work. “Yeah, totally, everything,” he said. “In my approach to life, in everything, it’s changed it.”
5. But that doesn’t mean there won’t be cursing for artistic effect.
“It’d be like if you sat down and talked to Quentin Tarantino and was like, ‘Are you gonna make G-rated movies now?’ … It’s Quentin Tarantino.”
6. The two also reminisced about an old Saturday Night Live sketch they wrote in which Yeezy interrupts an 8-year-old’s win at the state fair pumpkin contest.
7. When asked about humor in his work, ‘Ye told it like it is: “You laugh to keep from crying. Life is life. There are ups and downs…”
8. “…and they will give an 8-year-old the best pumpkinat any given time, and you just have to be prepared for these types of things.”
9. And finally, in honor of College Dropout’s 10th anniversary, he then performed a medley of SEVEN songs spanning his SEVEN career albums.
It. Was. Amazing.
10. Starting with “Jesus Walks” from College Dropout, ‘Ye worked his way through “Touch the Sky,” “Stronger”…
11. “Heartless,” “All of the Lights”…
13. …and “Black Skinhead.”
14. And then he threw both the mic and the mic stand in the air and walked off.
His work here was done. #blessed
15. Watch the full performance below:
- Iran's parliament approved a deal on its nuclear program, which was agreed in July following lengthy talks between six world powers. ›
- Police officers in the UK will record anti-Muslim hate crimes as a specific category in crime statistics for the first time. ›
- There were three stabbings in Jerusalem on Monday, part of a monthlong wave of violence between Israelis and Palestinians. ›