Mariah Carey’s new album, Me. I am Mariah… The Elusive Chanteuse, is FINALLY here and it’s better than we could’ve ever imagined.
It’s been a long road to Mariah’s 14th studio album. She became a mother to twins with her husband Nick Cannon. She signed to a new label. Nick suffered health issues. Last summer, she herself suffered a serious injury, breaking her wrist and ribs. And after delay after delay, it became unclear when and what exactly we’d be getting in terms of a new Mariah album.
But the wait was worth it.
On her new album, Mariah sounds stronger, more comfortable, and fresher than she has in over a decade. On tracks like album opener “Cry” (a gorgeous, piano-driven ballad) and the gospel choir-backed “Camouflage,” she lets her voice soar higher and with more power than she’s let us hear her past few albums.
“#Beautiful” featuring Miguel was last year’s perfect breezy summer anthem…
(Sorry “Blurred Lines.”)
… and she continues the joyful, carefree feels on “You Don’t Know What To Do” featuring Wale.
The whole album’s a feel-great listen, really.
1. Like any real diva, she knows her angles.
2. And Mimi’s always been changing up her look – from rocking her curls in the early 90s…
3. … to sleek locks and smoky eyes in the “Breakdown” video.
5. And only MC could make a cast for a broken wrist look this fabulous.
That fur! Those feathers! Those studs!
8. Mariah knows that just because it doesn’t look like you’re working hard, doesn’t mean you aren’t.
10. And as a real diva, she has no reservations in sharing when she feels sexy and good about herself.
11. And it’s great, because she inspires us to love ourselves, too.
13. And also totally love and embrace her glam side.
14. Everyone should channel their inner Mariah the next time they take a photo.
15. Mariah keeps things real with her fans, giving them glimpses of some of her sweetest family moments…
16. And some private ones, too.
Like when she dressed up and live-Instagrammed waiting for Nick in a bathtub on Valentine’s Day.
17. It makes us so happy to see her so in love.
18. And she teaches us that being in love also means responsibility – being there in good times and bad.
19. She only hangs with the best company. Like Stevie Wonder.
20. And Whitney.
May she rest in peace. <3
21. Even though media liked to pit her against her fellow divas, she always showed that it was all love between them.
22. She loves giving her background dancers their shine.
In quite possibly the best music video of all time, “Dreamlover.”