1. “Where are you from? No, where are you ORIGINALLY from?”
Unless I was actually born in India, no, I am not “originally” from there.
2. “You’re really [pretty/hot/cute], for an Indian.”
This person is essentially saying that A) you’re only attractive compared to other Indians, so you’re not as attractive as people of other ethnicities, and B) that Indians/South-Asians are inherently unattractive. Not cool.
3. When another South-Asian sees you in public and won’t stop staring at you.
It’s like they’ve never seen another Indian person before.
4. Getting a B on a test and “shaming the family.”
The maths test was really hard, though!
5. Getting “brown-girl wasted” from one glass of wine.
I swear our low alcohol tolerance is genetic.
6. Being forever alone in high school because you’re not allowed to date.
Bonus points if you’re a girl who’s technically not allowed to date in college or university either.
7. Telling a barista your name so they can write it on your cup.
Or any time someone else needs to write down your name. I default to spelling out my name right after I say it but somehow people still get it wrong. Conversely, you have a small moment of joy when someone spells your name right without your help and then feel weird for the amount of love you feel for them at that moment.
8. Telling your parents you don’t want to be a doctor.
Don’t worry, they’ll get over it. Eventually.
9. When you go to an Indian wedding and every relative comes up to you and says, “You’re next.”
NO LEAVE ME ALONE.
10. General ignorance.
Like when someone asks me to speak “Indian” to them. Or when people assume I’m going to have an arranged marriage and be locked away in a kitchen forever. Or when my teacher asked me to make her a curry for extra credit.
- Prosecutors will seek the death penalty for Dylann Roof, accused of killing 9 people in a Charleston church in June. ›
- Kentucky clerk Kim Davis has been taken into federal custody until she orders her staff to issue marriage licenses. ›
- Tom Brady's four-game suspension by the NFL following the "Deflategate" scandal has been overturned by a federal judge. ›