1. Heavy Metal: when neutron stars collide, they forge gold
2. Gamma ray bursts are among the most powerful and devastating explosions in the entire Universe
3. These cosmic explosions can lead to massive black holes
A gamma ray burst is a cosmic collision announcing the birth of a space-bending, time-warping black hole.
4. Without a star to guide them, these planets fall toward a massive black hole
Some worlds drift in the lanes of our galaxy, unattached to any one star or solar system, and like the stars, they can be swept up by a massive black hole.
5. Magma seeps from the core of an orbiting moon
Extraordinary tidal pressure creates glowing red fissures on the night side of this planet.
6. The moon is about to have an encounter with one lucky LADEE
The Lunar Atmosphere and Dust Environment Explorer (LADEE) is a robotic mission that will orbit the moon to gather detailed information about the lunar atmosphere conditions near the surface and environmental influences on lunar dust.
7. Flying toward an alien star
This Project Daedalus star-craft capable of traveling close to the speed of light, is based on a 1970s British Interplanetary Society study and blueprint.
EXTRA: one image we hope isn’t based on reality
This scene of steampunk Martian invaders was generated for Dana Berry’s book, “Race to Mars.”
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. It is also not paid advertising. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Uber has suspended its low-cost UberPOP service in France after protests last week.
- BP has agreed to pay a $18.7 billion fine to settle legal actions over the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
- Liberia has reported three new cases of Ebola this week. The country was declared Ebola-free on May 9.