2. Operating since 2010, you’ll never guess where the world’s greenest, most high-tech city is located.
5. I’m serious, it sits just outside of Abu Dhabi, in the sands of the United Arab Emirates.
6. Designed by the British firm Foster + Partners, Masdar City (meaning “the source” in Arabic) was created to inspire urban planning of the future.
8. And was made with energy friendly materials to help maximize efficiency.
9. The whole city is built on an advanced energy grid which monitors the output of every single switch and appliance.
The wind tunnel above (center) is fitted with LED lights designed to glow blue when residents are within their goal of using 50% less energy than a comparable settlement, and red when they are above their goal.
10. In order to reduce its carbon footprint, Masdar City uses a driverless “personal rapid transport” system…
11. …delivering residents from point A to point B with no effort on the “driver’s” part.
12. Um, Minority Report much?!
13. But Masdar City is not only home to the world’s most sustainable technologies…
15. The current residents of Masdar City are all students at the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology.
The world’s first graduate-level university dedicated to providing real-world solutions to issues of sustainability, created in collaboration with Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
16. Which means they are creating the future of sustainable energy while living in its prototype!
SO EFFIN’ META!