2. Those watching the Tony Awards this past Sunday night may have noticed something a little different: There was no “In Memoriam” photo montage. The segment was cut from live TV and instead shown only to Radio City audience members.
It was later made available online.
4. Shawn Purdy, a spokeswoman for Tony Award Productions, told the New York Times that the cut enabled them to include more people this way:
Presenting in this manner allowed us to include more individuals than we have been able to include most years, and as a result, more accurately reflected the depth of loss suffered by our community this past year.
But, as the Times pointed out, this year’s montage ran roughly two minutes and 40 seconds long, about the same length as last year’s that featured Cindy Lauper.
Many die-hard theater fans felt upset that CBS decided not to dedicate three minutes to honor Broadway industry members, especially in light of them closing the show with Jennifer Hudson performing a song from Finding Neverland, a new musical that hasn’t even begun showing in Cambridge, Mass. yet, and which she is hardly involved in.
6. The opening number and the Music Man rap featuring non-Broadway stars LL Cool J and T.I. also faced criticism.
12. Needless to say, fans are upset and hope to see the memoriam segment air on the 2015 Tony Awards.
Jennifer Hudson will be involved in the Finding Neverland concept album.
- Greece will decide on Sunday whether they will accept austerity measures as a condition of a bailout that may stave off an imminent financial and economic crisis.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 1-0 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the Copa ⚽️