1. Expectation: No curfew! YOU WILL STAY UP FOREVER!
Reality: It’s cool to get into bed at 7 p.m., right?
2. Expectation: You’re going to eat whatever you want all the time OMG candy candy candy!!!!!!
Reality: Is there any gluten in that?
3. Expectation: Your house will be huge and decorated with the coolest (possibly inflatable) furniture.
4. Expectation: You will look amazing all the time, because your massive wardrobe will be filled with nothing but the coolest clothes.
Reality: Let’s call it dressing for comfort.
5. Expectation: Grown-up parties will be the best and you will throw them all the time at your previously mentioned amazing house!
Reality: Does the party involve Netflix? Then maaaybe.
6. Expectation: You’re either going to be an astronaut, or the president, or a famous movie star.
Reality: You’re… in between projects.
7. Expectation: When you meet the one, you’ll fall in love and it will be magical and perfect.
Reality: Turns out dating is just a bit more nuanced.
8. Expectation: You’ll watch every horror movie and never be scared.
Reality: JUST LEAVE EVERY LIGHT ON OK THANKS
9. Expectation: You’ll go to the doctor and never be scared.
Reality: Some sedatives would be great.
10. Expectation: You’ll see your friends all the time. It will be like one never-ending sleepover.
Reality: You can pencil in a happy hour not this Tuesday, but next?
11. Expectation: You will be so strong and tall and fast — just wait, EVERYONE WILL SEE.
12. Expectation: You will only do the FUNNEST things with your money (of which there will be more than you can even fathom).
Reality: Sure, but first you just have to take care of rent, your cell phone, your car insurance, your health insurance, etc., etc.
13. Expectation: The second you get your license you will be unstoppable, driving down the open road in your awesome car with some awesome tunes, without a care in the world.
Reality: WHY IS EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD ALSO TRYING TO DO THIS AT THE SAME TIME AND ON THE SAME ROAD?!
14. Expectation: You’ll go on thrilling vacations (to Disney World, Universal Studios, and various Six Flags theme parks) all the time.
Reality: Vacation = not a soul around, not a thing to do.
15. Expectation: Getting drunk will be very hip and fun.
16. Expectation: Everything you learn in school will be very relevant to your daily life.
17. Expectation: You will absolutely feel like a self-assured, put-together grown-up.
- Turkey's military released an audio recording of what it says were warnings to the Russian warplane before it was downed near Syria's border. ›
- Protesters marched in Chicago for the second night in a row after the release of a video showing the police shooting of black teen Laquan McDonald. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›