Purveyors of so-called “designer vagina” surgery have long been criticized for making women feel insecure about a part of the body that a) varies naturally and b) is invisible most of the time. Now scientists have decided to investigate the claims made by websites offering plastic surgery for female genitals. Study authors Lih-Mei Liao, Neda Taghinejadi, and Sarah M. Creighton used an extremely simple procedure: They Googled “designer vagina.” Then they looked at the top five U.K.-based websites that came up, and the top five U.S. ones. Here’s a sampling of what they found:
3. Your shriveled vagina may reveal your age.
The U.K.’s Regency Clinic reportedly claimed “a woman might have a face lift and look really young until she goes to bed and a partner can see the evidence of ageing there.” This language appears to have been removed.
5. It is the “seal of approval” across many cultures.
This language isn’t explicitly mentioned in the study, but appears alongside the promise of a head held high on one’s wedding night.
6. Cutting the vagina with lasers will increase “frictional forces,” improving sex.
- Polls have officially closed in the Greek referendum. The country is deciding whether to accept sweeping new austerity measures tied to further bailout funds.
- The U.S. will face Japan in Vancouver in the final match of the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Captured New York prison escapee David Sweat has been released from hospital and is back in jail.