1. People are very concerned with teeth.
Teeth were one of the top traits people reported judging a potential partner on, according to survey results released today. Fifty-eight percent of men said teeth were crucial; 71% of women said the same. Match was so impressed with this finding that they made the above video to illustrate it.
2. iPad users are the biggest players.
Forty-five percent of iPad users had a one-night stand in 2012, compared with 29% of e-reader owners and 24% of those who had traditional (non-smart) cell phones. It’s unclear if people with all types of gadgets got the most action of all.
3. Women are having better sex than men.
Or at least, single women are more likely to be sexually satisfied. Forty-nine percent said they were happy with their sex lives, compared with 44% of single men.
4. Guys really want to meet your parents.
An oddly high percentage — 48% — said they’d want to meet a partner’s parents before becoming exclusive. Thirty-five percent of women said the same. No word on whether it’s awkward to introduce someone to your mom and dad as your possibly soon significant other.
5. Daters fear debt.
Fifty-four percent said they wouldn’t date someone with more than $5,000 in credit card debt.
6. Friends with benefits are becoming more.
In 2012, 44% of single people said they’d had a friends-with-benefits arrangement turn into a more traditional relationship. That’s up from just 20% in 2011.
7. Marriage doesn’t make you a prude.
Seventy-six percent of married people said they thought about sex once a week or more, compared with 72% of single people. The difference was even bigger for women — 65% of married women said they thought about it one or more times per week, while only 56% of single women said the same.
8. Sexts are far from private.
Twenty-three percent of single people have shared a sexy text or photo they received with someone else. Of those, 42% of men and 28% of women shared it with three or more people.
9. Your date could be secretly frisking you.
Twenty-two percent of single women said they secretly searched their date’s pockets, drawers, or closets. Women over 30 headed straight for the medicine cabinet — 44% of single women in their thirties and 38% of those in their forties said they’d snooped around for incriminating prescriptions.
- radionowindy.com readers just made 9 Surprising Facts About Dating In... hotter
- LizReszke 9 Surprising Facts About Dating In...
So many problems. #7: Only thinking about sex ONCE A WEEK? Who only thinks about it once a week? I’ll go months without having it sometimes, and I still think about it once a day at least. And I’m a girl.
#6: How is the data so wildly different from one year to the next? It makes me wonder about sample size and polling methods in this survey in general - probably not so scientific.
#2: Maybe it’s not that they have gadgets, but money? Just a thought. And by the way, 45% of iPad owners had a one night stand? Maybe you mean of single iPad users? Because if you’re encompassing all iPad users, there are a lot of married ones, and that’s a real cause for concern.
Agreed— I’ve been married… god, seven and a half years… and I think of sex multiple times a DAY, let alone a week. Without intending to shame those who simply have lower sex drives, but the idea that marriage changes one’s sex drive (versus one’s sex drive being innate to who they are and variable for a myriad of reasons over one’s lifetime— marriage being only one of that myriad.
- flavorwire.com readers just made 9 Surprising Facts About Dating In... hotter
- 9 Surprising Facts About Dating In... is starting to get hot on Facebook Share It
- salon.com readers just made 9 Surprising Facts About Dating In... hotter
- heidie4 thinks 9 Surprising Facts About Dating In... is Cute & LOL
- tenten thinks 9 Surprising Facts About Dating In... is OMG