1. Install low-flow aerators on your faucets and showerhead
They only cost a few bucks and save up to 77% more water and energy than your standard faucet. Huge long-term pay-off!
2. Use hand-cranked kitchen appliances
Give your arms a workout while simultaneously conserving electricity and making delicious noms. Win-win.
3. Shred bar soap to conserve water
More info here.
4. Plant a garden
Bonus points for doing it in re-purposed vessels.
5. Start your seeds in a newspaper planting pot
6. Water your garden with greywater
Collect and re-use greywater, or run-off water from your showers, sinks, and laundry. Learn more!
7. Make a re-usable market bag from an old t-shirt
8. Collect and use rainwater
Less for the storm drain, more for you.
9. Connect your rain barrel to a DIY sprinkler
10. Replace dryer sheets with re-usable wool balls
They reduce static, shorten dry time, and act as chemical-free fabric softener. Tutorial here.
11. Make solar chargers out of playing cards
12. Displace water in your toilet tank with a filled plastic bottle
Placing a 2-liter bottle of water in a toilet tank will save around 10 gallons a day in a typical home. It’ll continue to function perfectly while using less water per flush!
13. Make re-usable waterproof sandwich bags with beeswax cloth
More info here.
14. Turn a plastic tub into a compost bin
Optional: add in some carbon filters to eliminate the smell.
15. Slide draft stoppers underneath doors to lock in heat
16. Clean with lemon juice, baking soda, and vinegar
More detailed recipes here.
17. Make a solar oven out of cardboard and tin foil
Temperatures inside can reach up to 400 degrees if made well. Here are a bunch of awesome solar cookers.
18. Seal electrical boxes with foam gaskets
Insulate your room by inserting foam gaskets (less than $1 each at your local hardware store) underneath your outlet covers.
- At least three people – including a police officer – died in a shooting at a Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs. The suspect is in police custody. ›
- At least 15 people were killed after a suicide bomber attacked a Shiite Muslim procession of hundreds of people in Nigeria. ›
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz. ›