1. A Calculated Life, by Anne Charnock
The world is in an advanced state, and Jayna is a mathematical modeler who produces exceptional predictions for the world. When her predictions turn out to be wrong, she sets out to uncover more data and gets more than she bargained for.
2. The Mad Scientist’s Daughter, by Cassandra Rose Clarke
Finn isn’t human; he’s a billion dollar robot, designed to tutor his builder’s daughter, Cat. When he and the rest of the robotic population are granted rights, he must struggle to find his place in the world.
3. Self-Reference ENGINE by Toh EnJoe, Translated by Terry Gallagher
A mind-bending collection of words that isn’t a novel or short story collection. Do not operate heavy machinery for one hour after reading.
4. Ancillary Justice, by Ann Leckie
A soldier named Breq was once the starship Justice of Toren. Betrayed and left in the body of an ancillary, her mission is one of revenge, the immortal ruler of the Radch.
5. Life on the Preservation, by Jack Skillingstead
Seattle is caught in a time loop, and Ian Palmer is the only one who knows the truth and tries to alert the rest of the city before is identify is erased.
6. Solaris Rising 2: The New Solaris Book of Science Fiction, edited by Ian Whates
The second short fiction collection from Solaris, this book brings together stories from Allan Steele, Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Kim Lakin-Smith, Paul Cornell, Eugie Foster, Nick Harkaway, Nancy Kress, Kay Kenyon, James Lovegrove, Robert Reed, Mercurio D. Rivera, Norman Spinrad, Adrian Tchaikovsky, Liz Williams, Vandana Singh, Martin Sketchley, and more.
7. Countdown City, by Ben H. Winters
The sequel to Winter’s novel The Last Policeman finds Detective Hand Palace with 77 days left before an asteroid strikes Earth. He’s out of a job until a woman seeks him out to help her find her missing husband.
- Rallies for climate change action are taking place around the world ahead of the United Nations climate talks in Paris. ›
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- And watch a man react to the modern world after spending 44 years in prison. ›