1. A Calculated Life, by Anne Charnock
The world is in an advanced state, and Jayna is a mathematical modeler who produces exceptional predictions for the world. When her predictions turn out to be wrong, she sets out to uncover more data and gets more than she bargained for.
2. The Mad Scientist’s Daughter, by Cassandra Rose Clarke
Finn isn’t human; he’s a billion dollar robot, designed to tutor his builder’s daughter, Cat. When he and the rest of the robotic population are granted rights, he must struggle to find his place in the world.
3. Self-Reference ENGINE by Toh EnJoe, Translated by Terry Gallagher
A mind-bending collection of words that isn’t a novel or short story collection. Do not operate heavy machinery for one hour after reading.
4. Ancillary Justice, by Ann Leckie
A soldier named Breq was once the starship Justice of Toren. Betrayed and left in the body of an ancillary, her mission is one of revenge, the immortal ruler of the Radch.
5. Life on the Preservation, by Jack Skillingstead
Seattle is caught in a time loop, and Ian Palmer is the only one who knows the truth and tries to alert the rest of the city before is identify is erased.
6. Solaris Rising 2: The New Solaris Book of Science Fiction, edited by Ian Whates
The second short fiction collection from Solaris, this book brings together stories from Allan Steele, Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Kim Lakin-Smith, Paul Cornell, Eugie Foster, Nick Harkaway, Nancy Kress, Kay Kenyon, James Lovegrove, Robert Reed, Mercurio D. Rivera, Norman Spinrad, Adrian Tchaikovsky, Liz Williams, Vandana Singh, Martin Sketchley, and more.
- Dylann Roof wants to plead guilty, his attorney said. He is accused of killing nine people at a Charleston church in June.
- The World Health Organization says that an interim analysis of a potential Ebola vaccine shows "100% efficacy in individuals."
- Beijing won its bid to host the 2022 Winter Olympics. It's the first city to host both the summer and winter games.