1. Obviously, the Oompa Loompas being played by different men is key.
Along with their little dittys each time a child got eliminated. Those lyrics are CLASSIC!
2. The music.
Gene has the voice of an angel!
3. Freddie Highmore is pretty cute, but Charlie’s faces win in the older version.
Admit it: it’s fun to hate that face.
4. Four words: The Candy Man Can.
GIVE THIS MAN AN OSCAR
Sidenote: who paid for all that candy?
5. Violet is MUCH better in the 1971 version.
That CGI crap in the new version just can’t compare to this wire fat suit.
6. Veruca is obviously also much better in the 1971 version.
7. Grandpa Joe: CLEARLY better in 1971.
Just look at that guy! What an animal!
I don’t care for new Grandpa Joe ONE BIT.
9. Gene’s roll = flawless.
Much better than those freakshow puppets in the beginning of the newer film.
10. Mike TV’s mother.
Specifically, in the foam car scene.
11. The older version has this creepy, unexplained man.
Real talk though, who is he?
12. Charlie’s teacher in the 1971 version was fantastic.
Should have really received an Oscar nod as well.
13. Willy is WEARING that white suit.
Having no ears has never looked so good.
14. The 1971 version has this guy.
15. Gene’s dry humor is unparalleled.
16. This line that went right over my head as a child.
18. This reaction to Augustus Gloop falling in the chocolate river.
19. The scene that scarred youth around the world.
Much scarier than the newer version. Therefore, superior.