We’ve reached a point in history where you can’t swing a piece of kimchi without hitting someone dancing “Gangnam Style,” so most of the world has recently become aware of the K-pop phenomenon. With cell phone shops on every corner blaring music, you’ll be in K-pop heaven.
2. Fastest internet in the world
A little bird told me you can torrent the entire director’s cut of the Lord of the Rings trilogy in roughly half an hour. I kid you not.
3. Plastic surgery capital of the world
South Korea has the highest rate of plastic surgery in the world, along with some of the best doctors and top-notch technology. You can’t walk a block in Gangnam without getting the feeling that you just saw the same girl walk by a half dozen times.
4. Weird pizzas and amazing fried chicken
For whatever reason, Koreans have a knack for frying chicken to perfection at ridiculously cheap prices. And don’t be surprised to encounter a pizza smothered in corn, sweet potato, and shrimp, among other things.
5. Insanely cheap and quick public transportation
The base fare for a cab is roughly $2.50, so you can imagine how cheap the bus and subway are. You can also get a T-money debit card for all forms of public transportation so you need never worry about cash. It’s so convenient I could puke.
6. Make an unreasonable amount of money teaching English
Do you speak English fluently and have a college degree? Then you’re qualified to be a teacher in Korea.
7. The Mega Mac
That’s right. For those to whom the Big Mac isn’t enough. Way to one-up Am’rrca, Korea.
8. Watch professional gamers on TV
One of the reasons Korea has the fastest internet in the world is because they take their gaming very seriously. The sight of hangul (Korean writing) in a game of StarCraft has the power to make any international online gamer soil themselves.
9. No public drinking laws
Drop 3 bucks on some soju (Korean liquor) and beer at the nearest convenient store and party in the streets. It’s like Vegas, but with an entire country.
10. Korean BBQ
Literally some of the most amazing food you’ll ever eat in your life. Ever.
- Shannon Miles, who is suspected of ambushing and killing a Harris County, Texas, sheriff's deputy, was arrested Saturday and charged with capital murder. ›
- For the first time in history, there are three major hurricanes in the Pacific east of the International Dateline at the same time. ›
- Oliver Sacks, the famed neurologist and author, died Sunday from cancer. He was 82. ›