According to the National Drought Mitigation Center, more than 81% of California is in an “extreme drought.”
The state has been battling a drought that has become increasingly severe and costly over the past few years. California is now “short more than one year’s worth of reservoir water,” according to an NDMC report and residents can be fined up to $500 for excessively watering their lawns.
All images July 20, 2011, vs. Aug. 19, 2014, unless otherwise specified.
1. Lake Oroville
2. Folsom Dam
3. Lake Oroville
4. Lake Oroville
5. Bidwell Marina at Lake Oroville
6. Bidwell Marina at Lake Oroville
7. Satellite View of California
Jan. 18, 2013 vs. Jan. 18, 2014
- Migrant deaths in the Mediterranean have exceeded 2,000, making 2015 the deadliest year for people trying to reach Europe, according to the International Organization for Migration.
- Three major U.S. airlines — Delta, American, and United — have banned the transport of big game trophies after the illegal killing of Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe.
- On August 4th, 2011, the death of Mark Duggan — an unarmed black man — at the hands of police officers in north London sparked nationwide riots.