1. It’s North America’s boomtown.
Toronto has tripled its number of skyscrapers from 13 to 44 in the last 9 years.
2. Toronto just became bigger than Chicago.
Toronto’s 2,791,140 (and growing) vs. Chicago’s 2,707,120 (and shrinking).
3. It’s the world’s most multicultural city.
Nearly half the city’s population was born outside of Canada.
4. Toronto does post-industrial in style.
The Distillery District.
5. It even does sewage treatment in style.
The R.C. Harris Water Treatment Plant.
7. It’s safe. Like, really safe. Maybe too safe.
Toronto police during the 2010 G20 summit.
8. Toronto rappers are polite and wholesome…
Started from Toronto now we here.
… and uses foul language on the regular…
Rob Ford: always enough to eat.
… and nobody seems to see anything wrong with this picture.
12. Brunch is the closest thing to religion they have.
The County General.
13. Toronto makes better poutine than Montreal. Yeah I said it.
Classic poutine = fries, hot beef gravy and melty cheese curds.
14. Toronto’s food scene gives any city on the planet a run for its money.
15. Indy coffee shops outnumber Starbucks by a long shot.
Te Aro coffeeshop.
19. It’s Canada but Torontonians party on the beach every weekend.
22. Kensington Market rocks…
Street music on Pedestrian Sundays in Kensington.
26. …which is great because Torontonians are crazy for Chinese dumplings.
Mother’s Dumplings restaurant.
29. The wildlife is always sharply dressed.
The stranded Ikea Monkey waits for his ride.
31. The old-fashioned streetcars.
…and the fact that the government is the sole provider of booze…
… and the soul-sucking sprawl eating up the surrounding farmland.
39. …but still too few know how cool this place really is.
So pack a bathing suit and a parka and go north!
- The U.S. government is investigating possible unlawful coordination by some airlines to keep prices high ✈️
- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry will travel to Cuba later this summer for the opening of a U.S. embassy there.
- Nicholas Winton, who saved more than 650 Jewish children from the Holocaust, died at 106.
- Mozambique implemented a new criminal code that removes a colonial-era law criminalizing homosexuality.