1. It’s North America’s boomtown.
Toronto has tripled its number of skyscrapers from 13 to 44 in the last 9 years.
2. Toronto just became bigger than Chicago.
Toronto’s 2,791,140 (and growing) vs. Chicago’s 2,707,120 (and shrinking).
3. It’s the world’s most multicultural city.
Nearly half the city’s population was born outside of Canada.
4. Toronto does post-industrial in style.
The Distillery District.
5. It even does sewage treatment in style.
The R.C. Harris Water Treatment Plant.
7. It’s safe. Like, really safe. Maybe too safe.
Toronto police during the 2010 G20 summit.
8. Toronto rappers are polite and wholesome…
Started from Toronto now we here.
… and uses foul language on the regular…
Rob Ford: always enough to eat.
… and nobody seems to see anything wrong with this picture.
12. Brunch is the closest thing to religion they have.
The County General.
13. Toronto makes better poutine than Montreal. Yeah I said it.
Classic poutine = fries, hot beef gravy and melty cheese curds.
14. Toronto’s food scene gives any city on the planet a run for its money.
15. Indy coffee shops outnumber Starbucks by a long shot.
Te Aro coffeeshop.
19. It’s Canada but Torontonians party on the beach every weekend.
22. Kensington Market rocks…
Street music on Pedestrian Sundays in Kensington.
26. …which is great because Torontonians are crazy for Chinese dumplings.
Mother’s Dumplings restaurant.
29. The wildlife is always sharply dressed.
The stranded Ikea Monkey waits for his ride.
31. The old-fashioned streetcars.
…and the fact that the government is the sole provider of booze…
… and the soul-sucking sprawl eating up the surrounding farmland.
39. …but still too few know how cool this place really is.
So pack a bathing suit and a parka and go north!
- [A Harris County, Texas, sheriff's deputy was ambushed Friday night when a man walked up and repeatedly shot him from behind. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/sheriffs-deputy-shot-dead-in-ambush-at-texas-gas-station)
- [Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said that Tropical Storm Erika killed 20 people there, and set the island back 20 years from the damage. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/at-least-5-people-are-missing-after-tropical-storm-erika-thr)
- [Police are investigating the death of Jamycheal Mitchell, who was arrested months ago in Virginia for allegedly stealing about $5 worth of groceries. He was found dead in his jail cell last week. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/black-man-held-for-months-for-stealing-5-worth-of-snacks-fou)