1. So you may have seen this guy’s picture on your Facebook feed recently.
4. He’s a meme.
5. A lot of people want to see him turn his life around.
6. And they’ve started donating to a GoFundMe page his mother has set up for his bail.
The young boy in these pictures is believed to be his son. The page has raised over $3,500 so far.
7. She writes on the page:
He has a job and … He was on his way to work. With no gang affiliations as per two of the charges. He has old tattoos … which causes him to be stereotyped. He’s my son and I’m just trying to raise funds to help him in anyway. Please help him to get a fair trial or else he’ll be railroaded.
8. Stockton police said on Friday that Meeks is part of the Northside Gangster Crips.
His bail has been set at $1 million.
In their statement, the police explained that he was stopped after he was seen leaving a home where a search warrant was about to be executed. In his car they found a 9 mm round of ammunition, a small amount of what is “believed to be” marijuana, and, in the trunk, an unregistered, loaded Springfield Armory .45-caliber semi-automatic handgun along with two extended magazines.
He’s had a number of run-ins with the law in the past. According to TMZ, the 30-year-old was charged in 2002 with robbery and corporal injury to a child: “He allegedly jumped a 16-year-old and beat him to a pulp. Meeks copped a plea and was sentenced to 2 years in a California prison.”
In 2005 he was charged with identity theft in the second degree. He tried to pass himself off as his brother after an arrest. According to legal documents he was caught trying to steal pellets from a sports department of a general store. He told the store security officers he would “f***you all up” before being pepper sprayed.
He was also charged with negligent driving in 2007, while records from April this year reveal that he was arrested for resisting a peace officer or EMT in San Joaquin County.
9. In an interview with News10, Meeks said he appreciated the attention but wasn’t “some kingpin”.
10. According to a friend of Meeks, Meeks’ wife is furious at the attention he’s getting. Simone Johnson told CMS Sacramento:
I wouldn’t be surprised if you don’t see her at all in the cameras, because she’s upset. She’s furious. Her man is in there and people are taking it as a joke, thinking it’s funny talking about his looks, saying all kinds of crazy things.
- The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan acknowledged that American forces mistakenly struck a hospital in Kunduz, killing 22 people. ›
- Takaaki Kajita and Arthur McDonald won the Nobel Prize in physics for their discovery that neutrinos have mass. ›
- In a Vanity Fair interview, Rihanna said Rachel Dolezal, who identifies as black even as her parents insist she was born white, "was a bit of a hero." ›