1. Rebecca Gallagher, 25, from Gowerton, says she found this label in a dress she bought.
She told the South Wales Evening News that she was shocked to read a label in a bargain £10 summer dress she bought from a High Street fashion chain because it read: “Forced to work exhausting hours”.
2. She told the paper:
It was stitched by hand and sewn in with the other normal labels. To be honest I’ve never really thought much about how the clothes are made. But this really made me think about how we get our cheap fashion.
You hear all sorts of stories about people working in sweatshops abroad – it made me so guilty that I can never wear that dress again.
3. Her partner, Gareth Kershaw, 29, said:
We all like a bargain but this really makes you think about the people making your clothes — and how hard they are working so you can have cheap fashion.
4. Primark has given this statement in response:
We find it very strange that this has come to light so recently, given that the dress was on sale more than a year ago, with no other incidents of this kind relating to this dress. We would be grateful if the customer would give us the dress, so we can investigate how the additional label became attached and whether there are issues that need to be looked into.
Primark’s code of conduct sets out the core principles that suppliers and factories must follow to ensure products are made in good working conditions, and that the people making them are treated decently and paid a fair wage. We inspect each factory to ensure it is meeting the code and support it by providing guidance and training when issues are identified. Primark is a member of the Ethical Trade Initiative (ETI), and our code is based on the ETI base code.
Primark is committed to making working conditions safer for those who manufacture its products. It was the first UK retailer to sign the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh in order to work collaboratively with other brands and stakeholders in the industry to bring about sustainable long-term change in the country.
BuzzFeed has reached out to both Rebecca and the cothing retailer for more details.
- Fox News has announced the 10 Republican candidates who will participate in the first debate of the 2016 U.S. presidential race on Thursday.
- The World Health Organization says new cases of Ebola in Sierra Leone and Guinea hit the lowest point in more than a year last week.
- Super Typhoon Soudelor, the strongest storm of 2015 so far, is threatening parts of Asia after hitting the Pacific island Saipan.