1. In July, Connor Eckhardt, 19, from Roseville, California, inhaled some dried herbs that had been sprayed with chemicals.
“Spice” or “K2” is synthetic marijuana; it’s impossible for users to know exactly how strong it is.
2. His brain swelled and he slipped into a coma. A few days later, he died.
Eckhardt’s father, Devin, told KTLA 5: “In a moment of peer pressure, he gave into that, thinking that was OK, it was somehow safe, and one hit later, he goes to sleep and never wakes up.”
3. They’ve now set up a Facebook page with pictures of their son as a warning.
Dr Andrew Monte, lead author of an editorial in the New England Journal of Medicine, told the LA Times: “These substances are not benign. People may not realise how dangerous these drugs can be – up to 1,000 times stronger binding to cannabis receptors when compared to traditional marijuana.”
4. Prior to his death, Eckhardt had decided to become an organ donor.
According to MailOnline, this “gave his family four more precious days with him as doctors found recipients and prepared for the transfer of Connor’s heart and other vital organs. Veronica [his mother], Devin and Connor’s sisters Sabrina and 5-year-old Ashnika gathered by his bedside and memorised the lines of his face, touched his hair and kissed his forehead.”
5. The Facebook page’s description reads:
Connor Eckhardt died after taking ONE HIT of synthetic marijuana (SPICE, K2, POTpourri). This dangerous substance is legal. Help us save lives by sharing.
- Chicago police chief Garry McCarthy has resigned after backlash from the police shooting death of Laquan McDonald. ›
- It's World AIDS Day — 35 million people have died from AIDS-related conditions, and more than 34 million people are living with the disease. ›
- Cyber Monday 2015 could be the biggest online sales day in history, according to data from Adobe. Shoppers are on track to spend nearly $3 billion 💳📲 ›