1. Meet Maurice, 102, and Helen, 101.
2. Here’s what they looked like at their wedding, 80 years ago.
Maurice, then a travelling salesman, met Helen when he visited her dad’s business. The BBC reports: “Mr Kaye ended up staying in the shop for three hours, prompting his future mother-in-law to ask, ‘Who’s going to throw him out, you or me?’”
When World War II broke out, he joined the army. According to the Mirror, the couple lost their home in south London because of the Blitz, so they moved to Bournemouth, where they ran a chain of clothing stores.
3. So how do they make it work?
Helen told the Daily Mail: “We are very tolerant of each other and we do love each other. You mustn’t be hard on each other. And if you have to give in a little bit, you give in a little bit.”
Maurice had a slightly different answer for the paper: “The most useful thing is that as long as I agree with her, then I’m safe.”
- A Kentucky clerk continues to defy the Supreme Court by denying marriage licenses to same-sex couples. ›
- McDonald's all-day breakfast is happening: It's coming to the U.S. on Oct. 6. The company started testing it this year 🍳 ›
- Google introduced a redesigned logo. It's the biggest change to the logo since 1999. ›