1. Enjoying a fish supper on Blackpool Pier, Lancashire.
2. Indulging in afternoon tea, Devon.
3. Picnicking on the shores of Windermere in the Lake District, Cumbria.
Those surveyed came up with a list of 25 things to do, and it’s all rather splendid. These are the top 10.
4. Rock-pooling in Treyarnon Bay, Cornwall.
5. Camping in the New Forest, Hampshire.
VisitEngland says: “Overall, the southwest of England came out on top as the area that offers the best opportunity to enjoy life’s simple pleasures, closely followed by the southeast and the Midlands.”
6. Marvelling at Stonehenge, Wiltshire.
7. Getting lost in the maze at Hampton Court Palace, Greater London.
The survey showed that parents try to have one family outing a month, and try to get outside at least half the time.
8. Taking a stroll beside Hadrian’s Wall, Northumberland and Cumbria.
9. Boating on the Broads, Norfolk and Suffolk.
10. Watching the puffins on the Farne Islands, Northumberland.
- Dylann Roof wants to plead guilty to the charges against him in the Charleston church shooting, his attorney said, but a judge entered a not guilty plea for him on Friday.
- The U.S. Coast Guard has suspended its search for two teenagers who went missing a week ago off the coast of Florida.
- Beijing will host the 2022 Winter Olympics, becoming the first city to host both the summer and winter games.