1. Once the council has recruited 500 participants, the texting will go on for 10 weeks.
Some of the texts users will receive.
2. Cabinet member for health Adrian Knapper told the BBC:
On average it costs the same amount [£10,000] to perform just one intervention operation to help people manage their weight. Our programme means people who already want to lose weight and have signed up with us to get support will receive a cheap and effective nudge to help keep them motivated.
3. At the moment the messages will only be general words of encouragement. Rather than this sort of thing, which would either be great or terrible.
4. But the scheme has still attracted criticism from health campaigners and other local politicians.
The leader of the opposition said that if the money went to community groups it could be used to support people losing weight and also for other projects, UK health charity campaigner Vanessa Furey described the messages as “bullying by text”.
- Police in Athens used pepper spray on protesters two days ahead of Greece's major bailout vote.
- A medical helicopter crashed in Colorado. The crash killed the pilot and injured two crew members.
- Serena Williams survived an upset at Wimbledon and defeated current Britain's Heather Watson. She'll play her older sister Venus in the next round of the tournament ?