1. In February this year, Ken’s dad wondered where he was going every day. Once he made this discovery, he uploaded these pictures to Imgur, and they went viral.
4. Ken writes on his site: “Some very kind people who saw these pictures donated money to help me care for the dogs.”
5. “We got enough money to get the dogs I was feeding off the street, feed them high quality canned food, and provide them with veterinary care.”
6. “They gained a LOT of weight, their open wounds healed, and their fur grew back. They also learned not to be scared of humans.”
7. “In addition, I got enough money to start an animal shelter.”
8. “On May 1, 2014, I leased a 1,000 square meter (10,000 square feet) lot for one year. It cost 66,000 pesos ($1,500).”
9. Ken has recently learned that most dogs are put down because only 20-30% of owners claim their dogs, and no animal welfare organization is doing something about it.
10. He hasn’t raised enough money yet to populate the shelter with dogs but hopes to do so soon.
11. Ken’s dad tells BuzzFeed:
We still lack a mayor’s permit, and the lot lacks water and power - that’s basically more paperwork. There are some other issues that need to get resolved as well. And of course Ken needs to build some structures. He also said he wants to run an advert in the local newspaper to ask for volunteers to help with the physical care of the dogs.
Find out more about the project here.
- World leaders are gathering in Paris for the United Nations summit on climate change 🌍 ›
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- And Kobe Bryant wrote a poem announcing that he's retiring from professional basketball at the end of this season 🏀🎭 ›